Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews rollers!

Old 02-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mathews rollers!

I purchased a Mathews LX last year and have started having problems with wear on the string where it goes through the rollers on the riser. Now just so you know I have shot thousands of shots through the bow already. The string roller has worn shiny. There are no burrs on the roller. My bow mechanic has spoken with Mathews and they said that the LX should be set right at the ATA length that is specified so the string will have good pressure to remain seated in the roller. After making these adjustments , I noticed after shooting tonight that the serving was showing signs of freying I have only shot about 300-400 arrows since the adjustment to the ATA. Has anyone shooting the LX noticed any of these symptons. The LX is one of the ones that was changed after the original wear problem was noticed. So the bow has the updated rollers. The wear problem was noticed after I switched to a winners choice string. The string was reserved and now it is happening again. Winners choice serves the string alot further than the original string. Could this have something to do with the problem? The cam and the idler wheel seem to be in good shape and the bow is shooting awesome outside of the wear problem. Any ideas ?
Old 02-27-2004, 09:04 PM

Default RE: Mathews rollers!

I got an LX also last year and have not had any problems with the roller. I still have the original string on though and was going to ask about replacement choices. Maybe it is the Winner's Choice serving. I have noticed a little wear on the idler wheel end of mine but I think it was a problem with my form. Other than that the bow shoots great. Good luck.

Mathews LX 67#
Gold Tip XT, Whisker Biscuit Rest
Copper John Dead Huts
Sims Stabilizers
Scott Release
Old 02-27-2004, 09:52 PM

I have heard others that were using W/C strings did the same.....Does it have the X coat on it???? I believe their serving is thicker than Zebra's.......But I have not had a problem out of mine but I use Tiger...
Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 PM

On some LXs the roller was to long and didnt put enough force on the string to keep it from popping off the roller. That could be it. Also, the strings were made of a different material that was thicker, so it was another contributer to the wear. You might check to see how much angle is being put on your string.
Old 02-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies on the roller problem. I removed the winners choice string and put the Zebra back on. The string is now seating properly. I shot about 400 arrows through it and there is absolutly no wear. I like winners choice but it seems as though they will need to do a little R&D on the LX strings. Left the winners choice buss cable on. The bow tuned prefect and the groups are great still. Add me to the list of winners choice problems on the LX.