Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who has actually measured...

Old 02-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Who has actually measured...

...FPS difference with vanes vs. feathers.

I'm talking about the same bow, same arrow type, same arrow length, same nocks, same everything, except the fletching.

I hear that the feathers slow it down a bit, but haven't measured it since I haven't started making my own arrows yet, and I'm not about to go buy half a dozen of each just to satisfy a curiosity.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who has actually measured...

I hear that the feathers slow it down a bit, but haven't measured it since I haven't started making my own arrows yet, and I'm not about to go buy half a dozen of each just to satisfy a curiosity.
Feathers actually make your arrows faster out to about 40 yards or so then vanes overtake them. Have I actually tested that? Yes, a few years back but I can again shortly if you like.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

hmm. interesting.

I am curious, what the heck. Go for it.

I shoot fingers with a flipper rest and I'm considering switching from vanes to feathers to minimize rest clearence problems.
I was just wondering what the fps cost would be for this change. If you're right, I'll actually be gaining speed. How cool!
Old 02-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why do people shoot light arrows? More speed out of the bow than heavier arrows, right?

3 feathers weigh less than one vane of the same length. So it's obviously going to make for a lighter, faster arrow out of the bow. An arrow fletched with 4" feathers will average about 18 grains lighter than the same arrow fletched with 4" vanes.

I haven't had anyone brave enough to let me shoot over their chronograph at 50 yards and test the difference in retained speed between vanes and feathers downrange. But I simply don't see a vane fletched arrow catching up to a feathered arrow, as long as they are fletched using the same amount of offset or helical and with vanes/feathers of the same length and profile.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:17 PM

If you're right, I'll actually be gaining speed. How cool!
Cool it is!!!!

You will gain about 4-5 fps
Old 02-27-2004, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are they faster only because of lighter wieght, or does it have something to do with the feathers laying down upon release and create less drag? I've heard a number of theories.
Old 02-27-2004, 02:56 PM

or does it have something to do with the feathers laying down upon release and create less drag
feathers do not lay down upon release - they hold their shape perfectly

vanes on the other hand do the hula hula upon release

It is because of the weight
Old 02-27-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot fingers with a flipper rest and I'm considering switching from vanes to feathers to minimize rest clearence problems
Once you go feathers you'll never go back , or something like that Bulzeye you are going to see major benifits and vastly improved accuracy by switching to feathers from your curent setup , vanes and a flipper arnt the most forgiveing , Id go for 5" sheild feathers on an offset or heilical , man are you in for a change in arrow flight .
Old 02-27-2004, 05:01 PM
nub

I think the texture of the feather, with its capabilities to create drag, that would allow a smooth vane to retain more speed downrange.
Old 02-27-2004, 09:38 PM
8PT

Strange you should ask this question now because I did the exact thing you are asking just this afternoon. I had 6 Goldtip XT 5575's (3 fletched with 3" feathers and 3 fletched with 3" vanes) all from the same batch. They were 29" long and had exact 100 gr. field tips installed and same nocks. With my bow at 29" draw and 60# there was only 2 fps difference with the feather fletched arrows being faster in each case. With 4" or 5" vanes/feathers there might be slightly more difference due to more total weight. I hope this answers your question. By the way, the feathers are more forgiving all around.

PS: I am no great shot but at 30 yards they all shot into a 2 1/2" group with no noticable pattern as to which shot higher or lower.

Quick Reply: Who has actually measured...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.