Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who has actually measured...

Old 03-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who has actually measured...

Assuming we're talking about 4" fletch, you'll see about 5fps difference at initial release. Feathers will be faster. Vanes start out slower but because they create less drag theywill retain more velocity over longer distances. So vanes will be moving the same speed as the feathers, generally at or about 50-60 yards. The feathrs will create more drag stabilizing the arrow better making for better accuracy and grouping, especially with broadheads. Feathers, being lighter in mass weight will still work well when they are beat up, chewed up, and sometimes missing (as if one comes off the shaft leaving only two) because they don't throw the balance off so much. Not so with vanes. Even with a piece torn out the balance can get real critical.
A few years back I had a bow really, really tuned and could shoot arrows with only one or two feathers, and yes, even bare shafts at a 3D shoot. Out to 35 yards it just didn't matter. Not many bows tune that well, but I guess I got lucky on the setup. But that's just another reason I shoot feathers.
Old 03-01-2004, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I haven't had anyone brave enough to let me shoot over their chronograph at 50 yards and test the difference in retained speed between vanes and feathers downrange.
Arthur,

You are more than welcome to shoot my chronograph...uhh, I mean...shoot through my chronograph...uhh, I mean shoot over my chronograph whenever you want....

As for vanes overtaking feathers...I just do not have the courage to shoot through a chrono at 50 or 60 yards since I do not practice regularly at those distances but wouldn't you think that the specific design of a feather fletch, multiple bristles, would cause more drag than a smooth surface like a plastic vane?
Old 03-01-2004, 10:02 AM

BULZEYE; actually i did the exact test last year when i decided to shoot feathers only. my bow is a pse nova set at 67lbs at 29" draw i shoot pse carbon force 400 shaft's at 29" with 75gr 3 blade muzzy heads. i use 4" feathers or vanes, now i made up a set of arrows 6 of each and thru the chrono i am shooting 268 with the feathers and shooting 260 with the vanes. doesnt sound like much of a difference but seems the feathers are more stabble than the vanes and i get better shot groups. hope this help's
Old 03-01-2004, 01:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

...wouldn't you think that the specific design of a feather fletch, multiple bristles, would cause more drag than a smooth surface like a plastic vane?
Actually, Frank, IF vanes didn't distort, deform and flap around - which they do, as shown in stop action photos - there might be some merit to that theory. My point of view is the distortions and flapping vanes go through in flight probably cause even more drag than feathers, even though feathers have a rougher surface texture. To go even further, I bet the distortions get even worse as arrow speed increases because of increased wind resistance. Vanes on a 200 fps arrow probably don't go nearly as wild as vanes on a 280 fps arrow.

Feathers retain their shape in flight. If you could get a vane stiff enough to also retain it's shape in flight, then you would have something. On the other hand, you'd have to be even more careful to avoid any fletching contact. From what I've seen, especially with short axle to axle bows with a low-mounted cable guard, fletch contact with the bow's cables would become a major issue, for arrow flight, accuracy and possible damage to the cables.

Vanes only have two things in their favor: price and weather resistance. On all other points, they aren't anywhere near the equal of feathers. Some guys might throw in the fact they don't rustle when you scrape them against brush, and maybe that's important to guys that turn into klutzes in the woods.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thank you Arthur. You make a good point. I think it would be really interesting to actually do a test of both feathers and vanes at distances beyond 40 yards to actually put your theory to the test. I do have one chrono I am not too fond of sooooo......
Old 03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everybody !!

Good info here. Some of it is new to me.
I'm glad I asked.

I can't say I'm concerned about what the fletch does to the speed when you get out past 40 yards, but the theories are interesting. I like getting close enough to count a deer's eyelashes, and I want to make a good shot every time, so I doubt I'll ever take a shot past 35 yards. Not that it can't be done, I just want to get them up close and REALLY know I beat them, hands down. I'll take the long shots with a gun, but when I've got my bow in my hand it's all about how close to them I can get.

I'm really loooking forward to trying out my feathers.
Thanks again.