Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Problem with Archery?!

Old 02-25-2004, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Problem with Archery?!

Arthur- you have brought a tear to my eye by mentioning the "old" animal shoots. That was one of my favorites, even more-so than 3D.Wish they'd go back to them. Stacking pins yesssss, even made sure there was a gap on top of the peep for those reallllyyy long shots. I better shut-up I'll give away my age.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weren't those old animal shoots fun, Big John?
Old 02-25-2004, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes they were, never missed one. Even the night coon shoots. They used to leave the targets out and during the week we'd go out and practise. We knew the distance from every rock, stick, and tree on the course.Butttttttt- now we have an 16 lane indoor heated clubhouse, with distance to 60yds. Warm-no rain-no snow-food-drinks-bathroom facilitys. Of course Davidmil can use the tree out back if he wishes.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:25 PM

ArthurP:

While I remember those days and agree with some of what you posted, I still contend that the industry has grown in leaps and bounds over the past 25 years. While I read in your post more about recreational archery, my post tends to encompass both the recreational and hunting aspect of our sport.

The deer population explosion that we have witnessed in the past two decades has attracted a lot of NEW hunters to our sport. The increase of deer, coupled with the increase of property development, has caused some really unique situations that we never faced in the past. I can't tell you how many gun hunters come into the shop each year because they can't hunt the 'good' spots with guns. They are also trying to get into the longer archery season and want to enjoy a bigger 'challenge'.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:21 AM

You would shoot and probably hunt better if you bought a new bow every ten years. While there are lots of changes, I wouldn't feel the least bit at a tactical disadvantage with my original Mathews 3d Hunter in hand. The only thing worth anything in deer pie terms that has happened since are the quieter bows we now have. Have I owned 10 or more new bows over that period, sure it cost me about 2-300 a year to trade "up".

Is Jeff Hopkins still campaigning his conquest pro (can't even remember what they called it back then).

Don't get me wrong, compounds have gradualy improved, and most of the changes aren't hype, but they aren't must-haves unless you a gearhead.

Learn to hunt with a real longbow, and you're never out of style.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Len, I agree that bowhunting has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 25 years (actually I'd give it an extra 5-10 years, do to the legalization of the compound along that time frame) but sporting archery has been in decline for the past 10-15 years.

The decline of sporting archery is something I'd think the industry would be VERY concerned about. Especially when it comes to the near extinction of women and children shooters. The recreational/target archer is what keeps sales flowing year round. Surely the industry doesn't want to become strictly a seasonal/male oriented business!??! Think what would happen to your annual sales figures if only half of those 'bowhunter' customers you see each September would get their entire families involved in field archery or 3D.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:20 AM

Yes, there is a definite decline in recreational archery. For a while there, 3D archery was really growing. Part of the problem, as I see it, was the development of cliques in all formats of recreational archery. We spend too much time infighting and that makes many just hate to get involved.

I just signed a contract with the Boys Scouts of America to help promote the sport. I try many ways to get youth involved; but, what about getting those adults back? I wish I had the answers.[]
Old 02-26-2004, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

My first answer would be to kick the open class out of 3D. Turn it back into a bowhunters' game instead of cutthroat competition. It'd go a long way toward getting recreational shooters back.

Not many people - especially kids and older folks with infirmities, have the staying power to spend all stinkin' day to shoot a measely 30 arrows. 3D has gotten flat boring to most people because of all the standing around and waiting. That's not simply my opinion. That's the main complaint I've heard from shooters in my capacity as a club officer and tournament director.

I'm sure all the open class shooters will put on their wings and halos, then chew my arse over saying something like that. But what they SAY on these forums hardly ever works out true in real life.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Great points Art and Len. We have all seen the decline in most target formats in recent years, and yes, it is mostly due to the cliques of individual formats and infighting.

However, I also see a growing interest developing where the parents are getting their youth involved in this wholesome (if addressed correctly ) sport again. Local JOAD programs are working well and growing in our area, we just all need to further solidify this interest by stopping the bashing within the different formats and look at the sport of Archery as a whole instead of segregated formats. Once we can all embrace the entire sport for what it is no matter what our prefered format or style or even type of bow, it will then be much easier to grow the sport to what it deserves to be.

I personally believe that we need to eliminate all of the hubub about cash and only focusing on the elite Pros or top 3 in a given format, especially when it comes to getting the children involved. With them, if it isn't fun, they will not be doing it for long... If we were to say embrace the top 20 in a given round no matter the format, then this gives more incentive to "average" shooters to come out and play the game, along with making it a much more relaxed atmosphere. If we continue on only praising those who have already mastered the game, it leaves little incentive IMHO, especially when we create tougher and tougher scoring zones to separate those elite shooters each year. Most average archers soon realize that it would take simply too much time, trouble, and effort to compete at that high of a level, and drives them away to do something else that is easier and more fun. This is not the way we need to go, at least IMO. I'd like to see everyone make this sport what it used to be--fun camaraderie for all, with emphasis on trying to improve your own game, not "winning is everything". Being a former Champion myself I know all about the time, commitment, and dedication that it takes to reach the top, and the sport itself does not necessarily have to be like that for everyone, because the "fun" dwindles at that point and it turns into a "job" -- there is alot that one can get out of it without all of that. JMHO, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-26-2004, 09:07 AM

I agree with Arthur about the Pro's at a 3d event. Sure they pay more money to play, but man, 8 hours for 30 targets is just plain stupid. I don't mind waiting a couple of minutes for scoring and such, but you should never need a lawn chair to walk a course. The first time I have to do that at a 3D shoot is the last time I enter that clubs events. Unless they change the format. I am all for pro events, but maybe make them a seperate event, different day, something.

Fortunately, around here, there are a lot of clubs that still put on fun events, and I see a lot of wives and kids out with dad. I know my 4 year old daughter will be shooting this summer, at least until she says she is not having fun anymore.
JMAC

Quick Reply: The Problem with Archery?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.