Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Backtension for Hunting

Old 02-24-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Backtension for Hunting

Has anyone used the new Copper John Eagle release? I'm thinking of going to a back tension release and like the design. What is the benefit of three, four, or two fingers on this type of release? I'd appreciate any input or experiences out there as far as quality, dependability, cost, etc.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Backtension for Hunting

I just bought the 4 finger to try out the other day. I haven't had much time to shoot with it so far. If you draw over about 60#, I'd probably go with the 4 finger so as to have more "power" to draw your bow with. Otherwise, I'd probably do the 3 finger model. So far the biggest thing I DON'T like about it it the fixed head. It would be much better for me if it had a swivel head as I perfer to hold my back tension release in the vertical position. This probably won't be a problem if you have a string loop.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the help and info, I thin I might give it a try after Turkey season. Did you try any other backtension releases before you settled on the Eagle?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I used to shoot 3D competitively, I shot a Stanislawski 4 finger, but it is a true back tension with no trigger or wrist strap. I was always to scared to try it for hunting. A back tension release will make you a better shooter if you use it properly. Contrary to popular belief, you can "punch" a back tension release.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:28 PM

I have a new stan 4 finger micro on the way. Can't wait to hit the 3d course with it.