Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Well I have a new bow!

Old 02-21-2004, 07:09 AM

Default Well I have a new bow!

I may need a little help! This is my first bow and and just pick'd it up last night. I got a Hoyt xtec, set at 62lb, draw length is a hole 27"(LOL) have a deluxe WB for rest and a TR matrix 3 pin sight,a trufire hurrican release, kisser button, and a tru peep magnum oh ya a mini hoyt stabilizer. Well that is my set up, this is my first bow I have really shot except for the test shooting, testing differant bows out. Anyway after being at the shop for 2.5 hours or 3 says my wife, I got a little discouraged I started out ok, the pro guy said I had good form, (with his help,) but I would shoot a nice group within 4 inches, and then a would shoot a flyer that would go way off to the left and highAND I MEAN WAY OFF! Not sure what I was doing wrong! Anyway I had him back the draw weight down from 68 to 62 because it was wearing on me, I could tell after shooting 15 shots at 68lb I was not use to useing those muscles! Any advice given is well taken so please if you have a thought about anything, say it. I have to go set up a practice range in my barn(with big back stops)!LOL!! o ya I bought a dozen goldtip hunter arrows 5575 26in length that where crono'd at 244 with my set up! I am sure you will hear from me real soon! thanks fellow archers!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Well I have a new bow!

I wouldn't get too worried about the occasional flyer there is plenty of time to practice and improve your form and confidence.Always keep your ears open to helpful suggestions.jmho.
Old 02-21-2004, 05:39 PM

Any advice given is well taken so please if you have a thought about anything, say it.
Practice, practice, practice. You'll tighten up those groups! Congratulations on the new bow! I am sure you will have fun with it.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:18 PM

well it sounds like a little anticipation on your release.if your muscles tire out easily make sure your front shoulder stays down and you put all the pressure of your bow hand in the meat section of your thumb only,not the top portion.try keeping your wrist all the way to the left on your bow hand and let the bow rest in the lower portion of the thumb area pushing only with that part of your bow hand.get a wrist strap for added security of not worring about dropping your bow.if your shoulder is in the right positon you should feel it in your traps located on the upper outside arae of your back under your arm.relax the bow hand fingers and release fingers. when pulling your bow dont put all the pressure on your front shoulder with it in the raised position for it will tire you out more quickly. just a suggestion.it will all come together with consitant form.there are days when we all shoot below our norm just remember dont keep shooting if this occurs for all it will do is add to your frustration
Old 02-22-2004, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I have been practicing the last two days, only at about 18yrds. but have been grouping about 4inches, which is alot better than when I started out. I have noticed that my sight is off but only about 4 inches to the right. my grouping is better as I work on my form and try to be as consistant as possible. I know this 4in group is not up to your guys standards but its getting better. I am wondering if I should start moving my sight yet? or should I be shooting tighter groups? thanks
Old 02-22-2004, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, congratulations on the new addiction. As for the fliers, I would bet...no wait..I would garuntee, they are the result of hand torque. Invest in a $5 wrist sling, and shoot with you hand completely relaxed and open. Just make sure your fingers are not in the way of the arrows for obvious reasons. Try to make the release a slow pull on the release, not a jerky "NOW!" pull as the trigger moves over the target. Do these and those fliers will dissapear and the groups will be even better
Old 02-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the sport and congrats on the new bow. Best advice? Practice. You'll get there.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the sport and congrats on the new bow. I too am shooting an Xtec and am having a lot of fun doing it!

As for the flyers, don't worry with patience and practice, you will improve that area. If you're getting tired, your form suffers and thats where you get yourself in trouble. Torque, trigger punching among other things.

Have fun, and welcome to the archery nuthouse!
Old 02-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the sport and some good advice has been given.

I would like to add a little something I wish someone had told me when I started out.You may not realize it but you havn't learned how to aim a bow yet.Try to work on aiming WITHOUT shooting.Just pull the bow up and let the pin float on the spot you would like to hit for as long as possible.Then let the bow down without firing.Do this about every third arrow or so.This will teach you to be patient with the shot and may prevent the old dreaded target panic from setting in down the road.

I know it sounds strange but it a very good excersize and works.