Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Opinions on nock Pinch

Old 02-19-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Opinions on nock Pinch

At what size ATA does nock pinch really start to be a factor.Would you guys say 33 and under?
Old 02-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Opinions on nock Pinch

It is not necessarily as simple as axle to axle length. Draw length and cam size both play somewhat equal roles. If you have a longer draw length then nock pinch will become more pronounced at a longer axle to axle length than if you had a shorter draw length because of the string angle created.

However, some cam designs also have larger cams/idlers. The increased radius distance from the axle to the groove/track on the cam where the string is being played out also factors into the angle created by the draw length and axle to axle length of the bow.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Boss- your question doesn't take into account draw length, which would be a major factor.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:00 AM

Well, for example my draw length is a short 26" so if I am understanding correctly nock pinch would be less of a factor due to the less acute angle of my string when compared to an archer shooting the same bow short ata bow w/ 30" draw...ignoring cam set -up for this example...?
Old 02-20-2004, 07:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Exactly. If everything is "equal" then, theoretically, a shorter draw length archer should be able to get better accuracy out of a shorter axle to axle length bow without having to make specific adjustments to their setup.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:48 AM

Thanks PA..Thats pretty much what I was trying to figure out!
Old 02-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what it's worth, I shoot a 30.5" ata bow with a 7.5" bh at 28 3/4" dl, and nock pinch has never been an issue.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

RB,

I am in the same boat as you. I have shot several bows under 33 inches from axle to axle with my 31 inch draw length...right off the string and have not noticed a significant decrease in accuracy levels.

However, I did have to play with a few different loop/nockset combinations on the MM VFT in order to compensate for nock pinch.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

I know this may sound dumb but what is knock pinch, how is it created, what does it do/effect and how do you counteract it. Can you tell me if i have a problem, my setup is SQ2, 30in draw with an ultraknockII, shooting 2315 eastons with a 100gr tip. thanks for the info.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:56 PM

30in draw with an ultraknockII
You won't have nock pinch with the ultranock - there are no nocks

When you have two nocks on the string with the arrow nock inbetween and draw back, if the angle of the string becomes to great - then the string nocks will pinch the arrow nock.

This can and will cause pressure on the arrow nock and can lead to accuracy problems or arrows falling off upon letdown.

Quick Reply: Opinions on nock Pinch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.