Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Spott Hog bow sight

Old 02-17-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Spott Hog bow sight

Bought a new Spott Hog bow sight at Sportsman's show sunday with Round framework. Now I can center the frame in my peep view almost like a third point of aim. Should this improve my accurracy and consistency like I think it will. I'm a decent shot, in fact better than most of the folks I hunt with, but my problem is practice. I get pretty bored with practicing unless I can be pretty precise. Trying to be as accurrate as possible keeps me interested. Hence five pins for ranges 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards (never shot over thirty five yards in the field but practicing longer again keeps me interested and raises the neighbors eybrows as I'm out on the edge of the road shooting at that point!) I do love to shoot and had lots of questions when I really got into it several years ago, but as my set up stayed the same and my shooting improved my questions decreased.
Also have a Whisker biscuit to put on my bow as it makes more sense in hunting purposes to me. Any tips on shooting with the wisker biscuit??
All of this will be going on my Hoyt MT Sport.

Thanks, PaulC.
Thanks Juniorpc
Old 02-17-2004, 09:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spott Hog bow sight

You will really like that sight. It is solid. I have the Spott Hogg "real deal" and I really ennjoy it. By the way what booth did youpurchase the sight at, I was up there at the Kinsey's Outdoors booth, maybe I sold it to you.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any tips on shooting with the wisker biscuit??
All of this will be going on my Hoyt MT Sport
Paul,

There were two very good threads on the Bowhunting forum regarding the WB in the last week. I believe one of them is still on the first page.

Good luck with the new setup.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Real Deal I want one how can I get it .

For some reason I cannot find one here in Ontario .

nubo
Old 02-17-2004, 10:17 AM

Also have a Whisker biscuit to put on my bow as it makes more sense in hunting purposes to me. Any tips on shooting with the wisker biscuit??
Follow PA's advice, seek out the thread. You will find some very good discussion between a couple heavy weights regarding pros and cons. You should find what you are looking for there.

All of this will be going on my Hoyt MT Sport
A sign of a very wise man
Old 02-17-2004, 11:39 AM

PABowhunter, I'll check out the thread, thanks, I plan to get the bow set up so I can start shooting in mid april when were done running the hounds. Thanks, PaulC.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:03 PM

There have been a few top pros, to say the least, who have subscribed to the idea that centering the pin guard, and then shooting a pin are the way to go. I don't agree, because it seems to me it makes it impossible to float the pin if you do it that way. That should be the ultimate aim in with-sights shooting. If you aren't there yet, then the next best thing is to have all your focus on aiming, and that is consistant with centering the pin guard, and picking a pin. In fact floating the pin with multipin sights is pretty tough anyway.

The other thing to think about is that the peep is supposed to be self centering, there are particularly mechanical shooters who center their eye in the peep as though it was a leaf sight or something, and then they want to center the pin guard, and then pick the pin. This is very mechanical method that fails to take advantage of the body's natural abilities.
Old 02-18-2004, 07:55 AM

Ossage, here is where i think it will help me: Sometimes I shoot groups a bit up, a bit down, a bit left a bit right. by that I mean a bit off center in any of the directions. Then as I review everything and really look at my pin placement in the center of the peep I'm not quite centering it leading to the shift in groups, but am doing so consistently. In my shooting sequence I aquire the target, center the pin in the peep and then it floats as I take my final aim. The floating is usually the pin floating around and across the point of aim on the target. The flaw is in the initial centering of the pin in the peep. I'm thinking the round guard will allow me to more consistently begin with the pin centered and then let my reflexs, muscle memory, etc. take over. Does that sound about right or not?? guess were getting into a whole other can of worms aren't we?! Thanks, Juniorpc.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:01 AM

Junior, I had the same problem before. All my shots grouped well but sometimes they grouped good off of the bullseye. My form wasn't the same everytime I shot or maybe like you said I wasn't centering the pin in the middle of the peep. I went to a No-Peep and it solved my poblems. It tells me when my hand is torqueing or my archor isn't right. I could see how a round peep and a round pin guard could line up and give you the same results. If the round pin guard doesn't solve your problem try the No-Peep.
Old 02-19-2004, 07:12 AM

Thanks D902. I'll look into that too. Juniorpc.