Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Parallel limb bow ?s

Old 02-18-2004, 12:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Parallel limb bow ?s

The answer is quite simple. Try PARABOLIC limbs on your next bow.

Why?

Parabolics as opposed to parallel retain the same limb pocket angle as a conventional bow for much better overall stability, and because the limbs are actually molded to a parabolic shape instead of being just flat they have less stress along their overall radius--- because they're being bent in the direction of the mold radius, not being "forced" from flat and putting much more stress on the limb which can cause premature deterioration. The parabolics also lay parallel at full draw and all shock goes out the ends of the bow similar to a regular parallel limb, but the parabolics are very easy to press in an Apple Pro or other similar press, and the geometry of the bow overall is much closer to a conventional bow, even tho it reduces shock like a parallel design. Slick!

Who has them? Currently only one company-- Merlin bows. They also are currently the only company in the world to have the "Syntech" laminate limb coverings that further reduce vibration and shock. (why have vibration reduction in only one spot when you can have the entire limb covered and protected both front and back and only lose the same 1-2 fps??) Other companies will have this technology in the future, and some are even discussing possibilities with Merlin about this as we speak.

Usually, there is always a better way to do things, it's just that sometimes we just gotta look "outside the box" we normally live in. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Old 02-18-2004, 01:32 PM

PW12,
I would love to, but I am waiting for mine to get here.

JMAC
Old 02-18-2004, 03:29 PM

Pinwheel,

Is the limb pocket angle on the Max Extreme the same as the Max 3000?

Let me see if I got this right. You're saying that these limbs are formed curved, in the same direction as the bend caused from drawing? I remember some advantage being attributed to limbs that were formed as a recurve (like the Max 3000), yet these parabolic limbs are formed in the reverse. So, are you saying the recurve limbs are a poor design?
Old 02-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

JMAC-

Soon, very soon.

SA--

The limb pocket angle remains the same, yet the bow benefits from parallel design as well on the Max X. No, it is not "better" than the Pro-Fusion recurve design, just different for the application. The Pro-Fusion process enables Merlin to mold panels to exacting specs for the best performance of each design for a given application. Each set of limbs comes from right next to each other out of the same one meter panel, ensuring the highest of deflection tolerances. The Pro-Fusion limb process is new, space-age technology that no-one else does or has. The limbs have very high carbon content for increased strength and torsional rigidity, infused under total vacumn. They even have kevlar stitching through the carbon layers--- another industry first. Norb Mullaney stopped dead in his tracks and took a long look at them at the ATA show then spoke with Chris Jones (owner of Merlin) at length, and ultimately took a Max Xtreme with him

We had other manufacturers taking pics and asking many questions. You will see them on other bows next year.

I dug around and found a couple of pics--- This one of a Max Xtreme with one of the parabolic limbs with no load on it laying on the table with it-- notice the radius already--

Old 02-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Here's another one of a panel showing the pro-fusion process. You can see how close teh tolerances would be when taking each limb out of it side-by-side--- If you look real close you will see that what the limbs are sitting on is actually a short panel of the parabolic dimensions!

Old 02-18-2004, 06:09 PM

Oh SURE, Norm walks by and just takes one home.....must be nice.....while the poor peons just have to wait patiently...... J/K, actually, I am shooting better than ever with my old bow, not sure what I will do when the new one gets here....decisions, decisions

JMAC
Old 02-19-2004, 05:03 AM

Thanks for explaining the process. One thing that is accomplished by the parabolic design, is an improved appearance (in my very subjective opinion). I hate the look of those super long risers with the parallel straight limbs. This design keeps some of the curves that a bow should have.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

JMAC-

Don't feel bad, my personal Max Xtreme is not here yet, either---I rate right up there with the other "peons" too.[8D]

Norb got one because he is going to test it and we wanted to get his input ASAP. There are a few others out there, but the rest of us have to wait....at least I can play with one here in the meantime, so that helps. Large shipment coming any day tho! (guess who's will be in it?)

SA-

Yes, I totally agree. Plus it is as stated more stable overall with far less chance of the limb moving as in the severely-angled pocket associated with standard parallel designs. Like I said, anyone who was anyone and knew enough about the technical side of limb design was there at the show booth taking notes and pics. Quite interesting really watching them materialize out of the woodwork to discuss the process and then actually understand what we were talking about! Lotsa smart people out there in this industry who immediately recognize advancements in technology. Nice to know they are there.Good shooting, Pinwheel 12