Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

string twist

Old 02-12-2002, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default string twist

I just got my strings and cables today and am going to put them on. Should I put any twist in the string when I put them on? When I took them out of the pack, they didnt have much of a twist to them.

Thanks guys!
Old 02-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: string twist

Twisting the strings/cables will help distribute the forces more evenly among the strands- instead of having no twists and the outer or inner strands always getting more forces applied to them.

String makers will generally follow 1 twist per 1-2" depending on who you talk to. That means a 50" string can have anywhere from 25 to 50 twists in it.

I like having a decent amount of twists in my strings/cables. I think it keeps things "tighter", for lack of a better word. If I add or subtract a twist it will make more of a difference than if there were no twists in the string/cable.
Old 02-13-2002, 02:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Blackfrog is right on the money. I don`t know how many twists you can put in a factory string without making it too short. I make my own strings for all of my bows, and when I make strings, I make the main string long enough for 2 twists per inch. This makes the string stronger, plus if you are using a peep without a rubber band, this will really help control peep rotation. If you are shooting a twin cam bow, I have found that 7-8 twists are enough for the buss cables. They have very little load on them, and with todays string material, they will never stretch.
Old 02-13-2002, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

I usually start too with 1 twist every 2" of length. Just get in the habit too of twisting one way (clockwise-tighten) as I've seen some people just start twisting and find out later they were actually untwisting their string.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

One of the tricks my archery dealer does to get increased poundage (say 65lbs out of a 60lb bow) is by increasing twists.
Old 02-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Don't forget to twist them the same direction as the serving is installed. All of the servings should rotate the same direction. Twisting the wrong direction will cause the serving to loosen slightly causing serving separation later on.

MN_BOWHUNTER
Old 02-13-2002, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

dhacker, I used to help at a shop and we'd get bows in that people had bought at another shop for strings. We'd go to put a string on that it had listed on it's sticker and find everything out of whack. Found out he'd put on different strings to make one bow fit you instead of getting the right bow for you. This was one of the reasons I decided to learn how to do all the work on my bows.

Edited by - IroquoisArcher on 02/13/2002 17:52:29