Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

turbo nock

Old 02-16-2004, 02:43 PM

Default RE: turbo nock

I find it hard to believe that there would be NO negative effects on penetration. What tests have been performed? I would interested in seeing the results.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

At the sportsman's show in Harrisburg, Nick was runnng a video of a 200(+/-)lb hog being shot at a distance of 35 yds with a complete pass through.
I also questioned the penetration thing with Nick, would the nocks keep the arrows from passing through? would the nocks pop off? etc.
I have not done enough real life testing with the nocks to know their true attributes on game animals but they will go clean through my "Block" target in tact. Bear in mind I only bought the target version with the smaller vanes and was advised they may not stabilize my fixed blade broadheads.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Hunters weigh about 44gr and the targets weigh about 32gr(?) I am pretty sure but I can go weigh one in a minute.
the hunters weigh 65 Gr and the deadX weigh 45 GR
Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Ok, 45 grains.
Thats something i can do some calculations with.
See, I got set-up with the 300 fps rule on IFAA rules and i wanted to go for a new BowTech next season.
Now with these weights i can setup a arrow and play with balance/foc and still push down to the speed.
Thats good.

One more question.
Is there anything known about how long those nocks last?
They do not break or bend behind the shaft when you push them up with some 70 footpounds?
And how do they hold when you hit them with another arrow?
Old 02-17-2004, 01:20 PM

They're not made to be shot into the same spot...they will break if you group shoot them at the same spot. That is their only downfall. I plan to do some extensive testing of these this summer for hunting season next fall. I'll try my damndest to get them to work for me.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

My understanding on the whole F.O.C. kind of goes out the window, according to Nick Snook; creator of the turbo nock, because we are dealing with launching arrows in a different way than previous. Yes, we still use a string and bow as the source of energy, but because of the spin imparted on the arrow the F.O.C. does not have as much revelance when using vanes or feathers and their corrosponding drag for stabilization.
Your thought process has to be more in tune to the flight characteristics of a bullet than a conventional arrow.
At least this is how I understand the concept.