Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What's the new hot hunting bow this year?

Old 02-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's the new hot hunting bow this year?

Should get your facts straight BI /DC. Actually there is only ONE employee of BowTech here on a fairly regular basis and that is BowTech Shooter. Unless you count BowTech R&D's occasional appearance.

As for "trying to make the payroll"...... I have a career, and this is about as close as I want to get into the industry again. No way would I want to make my living selling archery equipment these days, either as a dealer (which I've done) or manufacturer. BTW, just so ya know....if BowTech sells 5 bows, I don't make a dime. If they sell 50,000 bows, I don't make a dime. Discounts on bows and clothes? Yep. I'll be ordering my discount bow soon , as soon as I make up my mind .
Old 02-14-2004, 03:44 PM

I think the Justice will be one of the top hunting bows when everyone gets a chance to shoot one beside the Liberty, it sure seems like a smaller version of the Liberty but more brace height and very forgiving. I shot my first Robinhood with mine today, I sure hope those new Golt Tips get here soon.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

To answer a few questions about the Merlins---

Merlin was a relative unknown here when I first picked one up back in 1997, tho they have been a strong force in Europe since the early 1970's.

From the first time I shot one, I knew they were "the one", at least for me. I have been shooting them as my "primary" bow ever since, and currently head the Merlin USA operation. They just continue to improve on all aspects of not only craftsmanship and shootability, but also customer and dealer relations. We have a strong support staff along with a very capable Pro and Amateur shooting staff as well, including master tech and well known Champion/Author Larry Wise. In fact Merlin made great showings in the recent Iowa Pro-Am with a first place finish in Men's bowhunter freestyle, and more recently won the Wyoming State Championships in Men's Pro Open going away-- breaking the previous state indoor Vega face record in the process. Many more victories will come soon in every format and division... Now that word is definately starting to get out about them, they will soon become a highly recognized name in the USA, mark my words. Also now that Merlin USA is established, closer communication with dealers and contacts with industry techs who can test the products and feature them in articles will be ever more present. Advertising will commence soon also. Look for upcoming articles/reports in Petersens Bowhunting, Bowhunter, and Bowhunting World.

Muzzyman88--

You live right near where we hunt each year, and are smack dab in the middle of two of our dealers--Larry Wise lives in Mifflintown (1-877-GO4XXXS) and is a dealer, and Appalacian Sports in Punxatawney is also a Merlin dealer and just a quick hour's jump up I-80 for you----they have a 27-29" 60lb Max-Xtreme there for you to try too!. (814) 427-2383. Tell Jim and Sandy I said "Hi".

Hope this answers a few lingering questions about them.

Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-14-2004, 05:25 PM

Yes, there are a lot of new things that happen each year and you'll find leaders and followers in any market. It seems that many are now copying the Darton C/P/S cam. At last count there were at least 6 companies that have jumped on the Darton 'hybrid' cam design.

I see the same happening for Merlin on their new Syntech limb laminates. There were a lot of manufacturers looking strongly at this new technique. Don't be surprised to see Merlin's idea pop up on the competition next year.

Merlin offers quite a product and more in this country are starting to notice them. Having PW12 as the North American distribution network is a big step to making them more popular/available in this country.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:40 PM

Good posts Len and Pin but we still need to discuss,,,, "what is the hot new hunting bow THIS year" Sure there will be improvements in designs and materials in the years to come,, but only after a year of use of those products and designs will tell the tale
Double Creek,,,,, I'd like to see your list of just who's on the ,,,,payroll
Old 02-14-2004, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Double Creek,
What Jeff said......sure I get some new cool benefits now as recently being added to BowTech's staff( like my secret BowTech decoder ring), but just like Jeff........nope not on any payroll. However, unlike Jeff I wouldn't mind getting paid for my BowTech support through the years. Boy I'd love to have Pat's hours.
There is one employee of BowTech here on a payroll that I know of? And that is Pat.

Just remember that with Jeff and myself as official staff......the chicken came before the egg.......or is that the egg before the chicken? Anyway our support of BowTech came long before a staff position, not the other way around.

As for the other guys?.......well they're just nuts. We can't control that.
I'm not sure I'd even try.[8D]

The hot new hunting bows for 2004? Of course I'm going to say the Liberty and Justice as well as the Patriot. But the Outback and LX as well as the Xtec,Vipertec...Whatevertec guys like?are all going to be big sellers for sure.
Too bad that Merlin doesn't have more of a foothold because that MaxExtreme sure appears to be a heck of a nice bow as well and given some "In hand" exposure should be a real popular bow. I hate to see a quality piece of equipment overlooked in the selection process for shooters simply due to lack of availability for guys to try. Even given PW's reputation on the boards I know it's just hard for guys to take that "sight unseen" leap.

I know if I was shopping for a new bow, the ones I mentioned as well as a few others that might not neccesarily be on the "Hot" list , would be my immediate short list of bows to try and narrow down a new hunting bow. I might be "Official" but I'm definitely not shy about giving a bow "Props" if it deserves them.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

WWAG--

I thought we WERE talking about the "NEW" (as in NEW parabolic limbs, NEW vibration absorbing and protecting "Syntech" laminates, NEW as in getting away from conventional twin and solocam designs and offering straight and level nock travel that is a snap to tune and is incredibly accurate, and a NEW, (in the USA) fresh, and full of promise company! )

"Hot", as in it will surely be one of the hottest selling bows this year after everyone reads about them in all of the hunting mags and hears the rave reviews from people that own them!

"Hunting bow" as in 33" ATA, 8" of brace height, and XTreme quiet!

That's right, I'm talking about a MERLIN MAX-XTREME!

Doesn't that cover the bases for"new, hot hunting bow for THIS year"?[8D] I thought so! Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Joel ! You keep getting yourself in trouble here, what's with that my friend?Wouldn't you like to hang out with the guy's you most likely have thing's in common with.Oh I guess that's why your here isn't it .
nubo

P.S. There's lots of great bow's out there we just prefer BowTech but that doesn't mean in no way that we don't like the other bow's out there.
I believe the Liberty ,xtec and the Outback are the most common that we read about here ,but that's just for this forum it might not be elsewhere.

Stay out of trouble Joel D/C

nubo
Old 02-14-2004, 08:33 PM

I'll just throw this out for further discussion I believe the most popular hunting bow for the model year 2004 will be the one that is the most available through the most dealers, has the smoothest draw for the given performance that it delivers, is somewhat compact for hunting, is reasonably priced, is very accurate and is very quiet. Could be any of the bows produced by the top 3 or 4 manufactures, depending on the dealers that sell them and the money they make from those particular models.
All that said, my favorite hunting bow the 70 pound Patriot Dually is not for everyone but it fits my demands perfectly
Old 02-14-2004, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are very wise word's coming from a ugly good looking guy like yourself walk's with a gimp.hahaha hope you know I'm just kidding .

nubo

Quick Reply: What's the new hot hunting bow this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.