Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Extreme vft ???

Old 02-10-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Extreme vft ???

Was just wondering if anyone has done a detailed report on the extreme vft. I am thinking about ordering one and just wanted to see a thorough report on the bow if one is available. Thanks
Old 02-13-2004, 02:02 PM

Default RE: Extreme vft ???

This is an old review I did last year on my Extreme VFT

Bowtech Extreme VFT Review

Construction: Single Cam, Machined Aluminum, Carbon/Glass Limbs, 80% letoff, Wood Laminated Grip.

Overview:
I have been shooting the Extreme VFT since the first of March. It is a great bow and shoots very well. It has great speed and is smooth. I found the bow did have a little bit of hand shock but that was easy to take care of with a good stabilizer. I like the feel of the new grip on the 2003 models but I wish they had a grip with some shelf built into it like the Mathews grips. The bow is a screamer and it shoots great. Even at 34" ATA I found I could shoot the bow very well with my 30" draw.

I think Bowtech has done a great job with this bow. My only real complaint was that they had dropped some glue/resin on the riser after the camo dip job. When I pulled it off the top layer of camo came off. The only other problem I have seen is that the camo will rub off easy.

Rating system: 1 = poor, 10 = best.

Durability: 8 - The bow holds up to extreme punishment and can sling 350 grain arrows at 70 lbs till the cows come home. I wish the camo was as tough. This is my only complaint here and I wish all bow companies would work on this process to make it more durable. A rubber camo dip would be really cool, hint, hint!

Quality: 9 - Everything fit together really well and the bow looked great. The glue / resin on the riser really was the flaw that bothered me. I took the bow out of the box directly from the FedX guy and found this. No big deal but I don't think any high dollar bow should leave like that.

Price: 9 - This bow is priced right in there with most other bows. The bow has a lifetime warranty so the price is well worth it in my book. The speed alone is worth the price :-)

Warranty: 10 - Lifetime warranty except strings and buss cables. You can't get any better than this.

Speed: 10 - My bow is shooting 381 grain arrows at 308 fps with a 30" draw @ 70lbs. This is great speed, my Mathews Q2XL with the same setup is doing 288fps. When I figured the KE I was blown away to find I was getting 80 ft.lbs!

Total Score: 9.2

Final Comment: If you are looking for a bow that can shoot over 300fps this is the one to do it. I found the bow a pleasure to shoot but I found that I did need some additional shock reducers. A good stabilizer really helps this bow out. I also found I do not care that much for the hush kit items and found Limb Savers do a much better job. I also like Cat Whiskers better than the string silencers that came with the bow.

I set the bow up with a Fall Away rest, string loop, Tru Peep, stabilizer, and a sight. I was very impressed with the speed and the bow was not a rattle trap like other speed bows. I found I had no problems getting good groups out at 40 yards with this bow. I found that I could get either a Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade or a Rocky Mountain Ti-100 3 blade to shoot great at those high speeds!

I would not think twice about telling anyone to buy this bow. I feel it is a great bow and it would be a really good bow to use on tough game like elk, moose, bear, etc. You won't have any problems getting plenty of KE to take down those big boys! If you only hunt deer you could drop down to 60lbs and still generate high KE levels.

The only thing some people may not like is that the bow is top heavy but once at full draw this is not an issue. I don't think it is a issue anyway. This is one of those personal things that you have to figure out on your own if it bothers you or not. As a side note I found the O2 or whatever they may be strings perfromed really well and have held up great. I have had almost no string rotation after a hundred or so shots, even in 90 degree weather!
Old 02-14-2004, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never did a report on it, but I own one. Much nicer shooting bow than the specs would indicate.

Any questions you have in particular?
Old 02-14-2004, 10:30 AM

Jeff B

Thanks for the reply, I guess the main thing that I am looking at with this bow is the kind of speed and performance I can expect. I am also seriously considering the Black Knight as my other option. I have a short 27" draw length and speed and kinetic energy can be a big problem for me.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lordstanley

I have an 04 Black Knight
For a short draw archer or as I like to refer as being draw lenght challanged the BK is a very shootable bow that will give us "challanged" archers great speed.

My BK is 60lb 28" draw.
314gr arrow 312fps
376gr arrow 288fps
400gr arrow 280fps

Thats with string loop and BT hush kit on the string.
I dont use a peep.

You could probably drop 15 to 20 fps off my findings for your lenght and peep.

Dont worry about the short brace height as it is no big deal for us "challanged" guys
but does come into play for the longer draw lengths.

The bow is quite and has very little to no hand shock or vibration and is deadly accurate.