Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Bride of JeffB's Long Boring Bow Report (w/pics!)

Old 02-11-2004, 01:26 PM

Default RE: The Bride of JeffB's Long Boring Bow Report (w/pics!)

Jeff,
Nice report.
Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I have agree with you, the Liberty is a great bow.

Rochelle,
I would be interested to hear your report on this bow if you care to shoot and report.
Remember... no hidden agendas
Old 02-11-2004, 02:12 PM

I'm not a fan of the VFT design, but that is a sweet looking bow. And the camo, IMO, is much better than 02 and 03.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, another great report as always. It did take me 2 days to read it though! The liberty is a nice bow, especialy for those who put smooth and quiet in front of raw speed.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:59 AM

Being new to bows, how they feel and shoot etc. I do alot of reading to see if I can find ways to self-teach. Not to mention finding someone in my area worth a damn to help me is damn near impossible. There is only 1 archery shop in town and they cater more to gun lovers than bow hunters so there is no help there to really be had. So I rely on these forums to be informitive. Now I willadmit I started reading Jeff's report and found most of it to be beyond my ability to understand all the terms etc., but I am learning. The first bow I looked at was a Hoyt. Dealer refused to let me shoot it to see if I even liked the feel of it. I ended up driving 1100 miles to buy the bow I now own, a Reflex Buckskin 60-70. And the only thing I can really tell you that I have on it is a trophyridge matrix 3 pin sight.

Like I siad, I've read and searched the web on different bows, but I have never seen a comment anywhere about my bow. What I would like to know is how does it measure up to the Bowtech Liberty? Or maybe Bowtech would like to send me one with a 27 1/2 inch draw (yup I have short arms lol) and I can try it for myself.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like I siad, I've read and searched the web on different bows, but I have never seen a comment anywhere about my bow. What I would like to know is how does it measure up to the Bowtech Liberty? Or maybe Bowtech would like to send me one with a 27 1/2 inch draw (yup I have short arms lol) and I can try it for myself.
To address your last comment first....Bowtech does have a "Bowtech in the Boonies" program where you can order a bow through select dealers without having to actually go to the shop to buy it. However, I don't know of any company that will send anyone a bow just to "try it out". Would be nice though would it not?

The Buckskin is a great little bow. Reflex is basically a sub company of Hoyt. They use Hoyt's limb, cam, riser designs, etc... The Buckskin is somewhat unique in that its riser design has those attractive hoof prints cut out of it. To put in a frame of reference the Buckskin is very similar to Hoyt's previous model...the Havoc...or even Reflex's previous model..the Denali. All of those models would probably roughly compare with the Liberty in terms of brace height and axle to axle length. The draw cycle on the Freedom cam though is a bit smoother than the Cam and a half system found on the reflex models but with comparative speed levels. The riser limb design is also different on the Liberty in that it has a longer riser and shorter, more parallel limbs. The benefit of this is that recoil levels are greatly reduced.

Hope this helps some.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

Great report, Jeff.
Even if it's not on the bows I shoot.

Frank,

Some traditional bowyers will ship you a bow to try out as long as you put a deposit on the bow via MC or VISA.
Black Widow started the program several years ago and others have followed the lead.
Compound manufacturers would do well with such a program, jmo.

Sag.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a good idea Sag. I think it would attract alot of people....and as long as they have that credit card number.....
Old 02-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd gladly pay $25 or so plus secure the bow on my card to get a chance to play with a few different models I'm interested in...

Pinwheel? Oh, PIN-wheel...