Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 PM

Default RE: Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

I'll second JeffB's recomendations and also add that you should buy the chrono that gives the highest readings[8D][&:]!!!!????>>---->
Old 02-11-2004, 04:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice comments guys....

Jeff,

It appears that you were correct...at least in my case. Like I said, very consistant from arrow to arrow...and it showed an expected difference from one bow to the next but it was much slower than I anticipated. How much slower you ask? Well, at a 30.25 inch draw length and a 70 lb draw weight with a 430 grain Beman ICS arrow and my typical loop setup and peep (tubeless) on the string I was only getting speeds in the 263-264 fps range from the Liberty....and only around 275 fps with the same setup on the MM....

Ausie,

I promise I won't shoot it. I don't have your fascination with speeds down range...

BG,

Now, is that 10fps going to be consistent or is it going to be a percentage of error?
Exactly. I would not feel too confident not knowing which.

Oh, and that 122 was with both the Bowtechs and a Hoyt........now where can I find a Mathews just to make it a clean sweep all around....

WWAG,

It is funny you should mention that.... How many chronos should I go through before I am happy with the speed results? [8D]

On a related note I tried the Radarchron at different distances from the front of the bow via some different stabilizer combos and the various slots on the adjustment bar that comes with the unit (even put it out at farther than 3 feet with an X7 target stabilizer I had laying around) but the reading pretty much stayed the same from shot to shot and bow to bow.

Well, I ordered a pro chrono and had it overnighted so I should have some more to tell on Thursday....
Old 02-11-2004, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I ordered a pro chrono and had it overnighted
Frank

I want to do some down range testing with my BK can I borrow the Crono [8D]
Old 02-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I ordered a pro chrono and had it overnighted

Frank

I want to do some down range testing with my BK can I borrow the Crono

Old 02-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Some numbers on the Radarchron Frank...........maybe it'll help you decide.

Birth certificate on the Patriot said 311fps with 350G arrow at 70#, 29"d/l.

Radarchron gave the following numbers to me:

301, 301, 297, & 300 for an average of 299.75fps

I shot the following specs:
• 363G arrow
• 73#, 29" d/l
• the four string/cable squid that came with the bow
• the accelerator buttons that came with the bow

Fritz
Old 02-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

Fritz,

Thanks for the numbers. Those would be consistant with what I was finding....about 10 fps off of the expected numbers.

Your arrow is a bit over IBO weight but then your draw weight is a bit above the IBO standard as well.

You using a peep sight? That would also slow the speed down by a little bit.

I am going to shoot arrows through all three speed measuring devices tomorrow after work to see how they compare to one another. I will post my findings later.

Thanks.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Woops......forgot the peep sight. - Tru-Peep.

What would you expect given this setup?

PS: Get back to work you slacker!
Old 02-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Look whose talking...."Paper tune appt. at 3:00"....I thought you worked till 3:30....

If you are consistantly using that 363 grain arrow then I would expect the following.....

Starting with that 311 speed on the birth certificate...

- subtract 2-3 fps for the slightly heavier arrow weight
- add roughly 5-6 fps for the slightly heavier draw weight
- subtract 3-4 fps for the peep sight

That would bring your speed to about 308-309 fps by my usual estimates.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

New numbers as of tonight:

• Took off the string squids until I can get some string leeches.
• Shot 387G arrow at same draw and poundage (added 25G to the tip since I want to practice 3D with my hunting arrow)
• Everything else is the same
• 292, 292, 291, 294, 294 = 292.2 fps average

Used that Radarchron again out back. I hope you're right in that this thing measures slow cause I wouldn't mind breaking that mystical "archery sound barrier" of 300fps.

I didn't shorten the draw length since he said it would take a couple weeks to get 1/2" modules. I think I may just stick with the length I've got and if anything, I'll start by taking the extra 3/16" I have in my string loop. The length seems to be very close and the slapping isn't chronic. As expected, it usually only happens with larger clothing.

Have a good one,

Fritz
Old 02-11-2004, 05:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Throwing another 25 grains onto your arrow weight would bring my speed estimate down by about 5 more fps...which should put you right at 303-304 fps...give or take a fps or two.

Anytime after tomorrow we should get together and have you fire a few through the new chrono to see what speeds it gives you. Heck, I should have you fire a few through my Radarchron to see how it compares to Lonnies.

You might just be a bit overdrawn....half inch or so. Shortening the loop might help but shortening the draw length itself is probably the better solution. Give it a whirl when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Pro Chrono or Radarchron???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.