Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Old 02-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

Default Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Simple question. In nearly every review about a bow on this forum or in any magazine people mention these two things as a significant factor, or at least a factor worth mentioning.

I dont get it. Why would either of them matter. Neither of them have much to do with accuracy, bow performance or aiming. I know some of you will argue that hand shock has something to do with accuracy since a bow with none is obviously a little more stable in the hand during the time from release to arrow out of the bow. But in the days before VFT I didnt really hear anyone squawking about how inacurate all the bows were.

Draw cycle: Harsh, smooth, nice, sweet, tough.... These are descriptives about what it's like to pull this bow back. I KNOW there are differences in draw cycles. For instance my Pat Dually and my Merlin Lite Storm, both 70lb bows are a world of difference to pull back. But what it feels like to draw the bow back would never influence my opinion of a bow or whether I would buy it over another bow. What would influence my decision is: how quiet it is, how fast it is, how well I can shoot it. But the draw cycle has nothing to do with me shooting it.

Same thing with hand shock. The SHOT IS OVER. And I'm worried about my hand buzzing a little? Ok, if you can attribute hand shock to some actuall physical pain then it's a factor. If you can attribute hand shock to the amount of noise the bow produces then it's a factor. But if it's just the difference between the Bowtech XYZ bow and the Mathews ABC bow why would it be worth mentioning? I'm just stimied that I've never given any consideration to what happens after release other than what did it sound like and where did the arrow go?

IF you reply I wont argue, I just want to know why it matters to you.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:32 AM

Default RE: Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Really ....the difference to me boils down to........the more comfortable the bow is to shoot........the more I shoot.......the more I shoot ....the better I get.........the better I get ......the more I spank my friends !!

Many things make up a good bow and your right......those are just a couple and not the most important as far as accuracy.........but do make a big difference in overall feel and comfort !!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Why buy a Cadillac over a Chevet,they both will get you were you want to go.O yeah one is a comfortable fun ride
Old 02-07-2004, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Got it. Sounds like it's more icing on the cake and not really as significant to everyone as I thought.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Let's see you sit in a stand for 8hrs in 10 degree weather and pull back a 70# Dually.. moving very slowly while the buck of a lifetime comes in to your stand. Now imagine the same situation.. only you're holding a 70# liberty... BIG DIFFERENCE.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ken beat me to it. The number one reason that I think draw cycle is a factor is because of what it can do and not do for you in a hunting situation. When you are stiff or nervous then what type of draw cycle do you think is going to make it easier for you to be able to get off a shot...and accurately at that.

Fatigue is also a factor to some extent but not necessarily as much in the deer woods where it is normally a one shot and done scenario. I am thinking more of a 3D course or target shoot where repeated shots are necessary and a hard drawing cam can cause more fatigue and thus impair accuracy.

As for hand shock, vibration, recoil....I am sure, like you said, that they all factor into accuracy during the shot physically. However, I might also point out that many folks will tell you that it is a 50% physical exercise and 50% mental one. If you are tense or anxious because you know your bow has alot of any of the above mentioned characteristics then the chances are that you are more likely to punch the trigger, grip the bow at the last second, etc....

Put any bow in a shooting machine and it won't not care about hand shock or draw cycle. But put it into a human's hands and you will see a definite difference for most folks in what they can do with it.

At least that is my take on it anyway.....
Old 02-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you ever get to the point where you've got problems with your shoulders and arthritis on your hands, you'll become VERY attentive to draw cycles and shock/vibration before you buy a bow. Even though a hard draw cycle isn't uncomortable for you now, believe me, it will eventually get unbearable. I suggest you really should start considering draw cycle as VERY important when choosing a bow. I was indestructable too, once upon a time.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Exactly what Arthur said.If it isn't a consideration now,it will be someday.

If you shoot a lot,that little handshock can lead to carple tunnel(sp) and arthritis.

It is also just more pleasent to shoot a bow that doesn't vibrate.That vibration can cost you in some instances.If a bow is vibrating after the shot,I will promise you that the equipment is feeling the ill effects.Sights can and do break from it.They will also vibrate loose and so will the rests.I have seen this be a big issue on a 3-d course and a loose sight can cost points.I have also witnessed sights break,more than once,due to too much vibration from the bow.Not much of this goes on now with those little sims products.Amazing what they can do for a bow.

And I am in complete agreement that a smoothe draw cycle is a must for a hunting bow and for me a target bow too.I am not a big person and pulling a bow that is easy to draw is much easier on the shoulders.It is also much needed when you have been sitting in the stand for hours and it is cold out.Those muscles don't work the same and that harsh draw cycle might be the difference between a succesful hunt,or one that ends up with frustration.

Smoothe draw cycle is also a lot easier to let down.If you have to let down with some of these hard drawing cams,there is no chance of doing it slowly so any shot at an animal is gone.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Smoothe draw cycle is also a lot easier to let down.If you have to let down with some of these hard drawing cams,there is no chance of doing it slowly so any shot at an animal is gone.
Same goes for me on anything higher than a 60-65% letoff bow.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:09 AM

Arthur and TFOX said it, with my age 48, I sure can tell the difference in drawing back different bows, shooting a 3-d range with a heavy bow or one with a tuff draw and handshock are all hard on my shoulder, if you have handshock you usually have noise and vibration.
Given all the info out today on different brands of bows it just provides you with such a choice that I feel many companies are finally paying more attention to the consumer needs and wants.
Why is the Toyota Camry#1, because you get a great ride, dependable
use, great service and it's made in Kentucky.

Quick Reply: Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.