Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Old 02-08-2004, 07:12 AM

Default RE: Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

I would guess that draw cycle and hand shock are two of the most frequent criteria hunters use when determining what to buy. The "shooting experience" is greatly affected by these, along with bow noise and yet have little to do with accuracy. However, I seldom see a hunter choose a bow because of accuracy (which is how it should be, in my opinion). All bows are accurate, if tuned properly. It's true, that some are more forgiving, but there are many hunting situations where other factors are very important to some hunters.

I know I can buy a bow to fit my hunting situations. Why not also get one that is quiet, with low vibration and a comfortable draw cycle?
Old 02-08-2004, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you've been shooting compound bows for 30 years like me and have the "itis's" in the sholders you'll be able to answer your own question about why draw cycle is important. Or maybe all it takes is not being able to draw on "Mr Big" after sitting on stand in the cold because the bow is a bear to draw--those cams just won't roll over.
Old 02-08-2004, 06:22 PM

Well, I agree with you on the so-called "hand-shock" issue but disagree on the draw cycle.

First I definitely prefer a bow that has a nice gradual draw cycle and drops into 65% let-off. 80% make it difficult to let down easily (esp at higher poundages) and it is too easy to move the string out of the centerhot plane at full draw with 80%. I don't like to put undue stress on my shoulders while drawing a bow and I want to be able to draw the bow slowly without any herky-jerks or abrubt changes, just a smooth steady pull into the stops.

This hand shocj thing is very subjective and after shooting all the bows at the ATA show, I believe it is currently a non-isue. Non of the bows actually "shoch" or vibrate excessively anymore. Some bows recoil a bit more than others and I actually prefer a bit of recoil. The arguement can be made that some recoil helps keep the bow gowing toward the target and helps accuracy. I like a little feedback from the bow to let memknow I executed the shot correctly.

Quiet is another thing al-together and is quite important to hunters. A bow can be very quite and still have recoil.

Have fun with it.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything here is well said. Draw cycle is a very important factor to me. I'm still a youngin and I can handle the hard pulling bows, but I prefer a nice easy pulling bow, especially for a hunting bow. Shooting 3D all day really has the shoulders screaming by days end with a stiff draw cycle. Same goes for yankin it back in 15 degree weather with a bruiser standing under you. Its difficult to do when you're stiff and cold.

As for recoil and vibration. Have you ever shot a very large caliber rifle? 338 or bigger? They are punishing to shoot very much and after a while, you find yourself flinching. Same concept with a bow, though not that extreme. The more the bow jumps and such, you will find yourself grabbing the bow sooner and sooner and before ya know it, you're torquing the grip. If the bow just sits there, you don't have the need to "catch it".
Old 02-09-2004, 05:46 AM

Very astute for "still a youngin", muzzyman88.

I agree with you almost entirely, ROBVOS, except for part of the 80% let off issue. There are some 80% cam systems, you know the one, that really has a much better feel at the end of the draw cycle and lets down rather nicely. If you're wanting to shoot a higher draw weight, this 80% system can be great for hunting senarios when you have to hold for periods of times.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:00 AM

Shoot a couple 300 rounds with that 70lb dually - then get back to me
Old 02-09-2004, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

RA beat me to it. A lot of people are not just bowhunters, but target archers as well.

Target archery has you shooting a LOT of arrows, and doing so with a really harsh draw cycle, overly loud, or hand-shocking bow is not the most fun.....
Old 02-09-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe that's one reason our traditional tournaments are pretty well attended, but we practically have to pay compounders to get out and shoot. I guess it's no fun to shoot the hard pulling crap they buy to hunt with. Darn shame.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

Arthur- ya know what? I haven't shot a trad recurve since I was about 12 years old. Last week at our spot league I tried a guy's longbow for fun- have never shot a longbow in my life. What addicting fun! Took me a few rounds to get the trajectory pinned down with no sights, but it was a BLAST!

.....i can't buy another bow..... i can't buy another bow......
Old 02-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure ya can!

Quick Reply: Why care about draw cycle or hand shock

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.