Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Moveable pin sights

Old 02-11-2002, 01:41 PM

Default Moveable pin sights

I am getting a new bow in two weeks and was thinking of installing a moveable pin sight on it. Are there any manufacturers that make a quality fiber optic sight with a low power magnification and an incremental adjustment that can be made fairly quickly in a hunting situation. I would like to know what yardage I should sight it in at to be in the kill zone on a whitetail out to 25 yards if its possible, I shoot a 450 grain arrow at 260 FPS. Any information or experiences with moveable pin sights would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance!
MNMACHINIST
Old 02-11-2002, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moveable pin sights

Are you referring to a target type of moveable pin sight such as you'd see on a 3D bow?? The type with a click type adjustment knob on the top of the sight bar?? These types are not suited very well to hunting, are not durable enough for hunting and can be noisy.

I have been shooting a moveable pin hunting sight for about 6 years. Some of the better ones are made by HHA (Optimizer Lite) and Cobra (Easy Slide). Both have a round scope type aperature but are not magnafied nor do they even have lenses. I would not recommend a scope with a lens for hunting. There will be debris on the lens constantly as well as clouding from rain or snow. I tried it for about one week during one season a while back and it didn't work out at all. Check out the sights mentioned. Just my 2 cents.

MN_BOWHUNTER
Old 02-11-2002, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I use a HHA Optimizer Lite moveable sight and it works great for 3-D and hunting. It does not have any magnification though. But go to www.hhasports.com/ they have there website running now and they do have magnified scoped optimizer lite sights this year!

Edited by - bloodtrail1 on 02/11/2002 23:17:28

Edited by - bloodtrail1 on 02/11/2002 23:18:23
Old 02-11-2002, 09:30 PM

The X style moveable pin sites are pretty Mickey Mouse. I have had a lot of problems with them, from not fitting any bow I owned, to having poor arm alignment. I just started shooting some of my older model 3D sights. Think of something like the CBE friction sights they can be cranked down or moved as easily as a lot of x style sights, and are very tough. I set them for point blank range (longest range where no holdover is required for an 8" target) I can usualy just hold over for a few extra yards. That's all it takes out to 30-35 yds. I can adjust them as fast as the Xs if I have time and a reliable range estimate.

As to the question, check out the Archery Specialties sight, it might meet your needs:

http://www.specialtyarch.com/myweb2/page_6.htm
Old 02-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Fork Horn

ossage: That sight you refer to, the specialty archery sight, that if Im not mistaken is a HHA Optimizer Lite sight! I bet HHA makes them for them! As, HHA sells Specialty archery scopes for there sights!
Old 02-11-2002, 09:47 PM
Fork Horn

Or I should say HHA makes a aperature that fits the Optimizer Lite sight body that will accept a specialty archery scope!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

BT1 I could not get that sight open
Old 02-11-2002, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Ok...Lets try this again! http://www.hhasports.com/ This link ought to work!
Old 02-11-2002, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok that one worked thanks