Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow anatomy question...

Old 02-05-2004, 06:46 AM

Default Bow anatomy question...

Ok fellas....I started bow hunting about 4 years ago, so I very new to the bow world. I really don't have a huge desire to start working on or setting up my own bow currently, but I would like to start getting the terminology down. If nothing else, so I can understand what the heck you guys are talking about. I have most of the basics down....riser, limbs, knock pt, anchor pt, etc... But here's a couple that I need help with..1) sight window and 2)valley. I've seen those two on here before(I think) and I am just wondering what they are. Also, please feel free to throw some more on the list. I was going to start asking for help on making sure my arrow is the best one for my setup, but I'm currently looking for a new bow so I will wait on that one. Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-05-2004, 07:04 AM

Default RE: Bow anatomy question...

valley is when you pull the bow back and you come to full draw how much play is there on a bowtech there is hardly and some peopledont like this because when they creep the string forward it wants to rip there shoulder off. sight window is the area on the riser where you look at your sight some bows have short sight window and other have long long is beeter you have more room to see your sights
Old 02-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow anatomy question...

Sight window refers to the area on your bow next to the riser between the top limb pocket and the arrow shelf. It is wear you view your sight when holding the bow at full draw.

Valley refers to the back portion of the draw cycle (when you are drawing your bow) where the draw weight drops off significantly. For example, a 70 lb bow with 80% letoff would be holding around 14 lbs at the bottom of the bow's valley.

I am sure someone can pull a more technical explanation off of one of Norb Mullaney's reports, the huntersfriend website or the Martin website.....