Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Best String to eliminate stringe noise

Old 02-04-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Best String to eliminate stringe noise

Does anyone know how to get that string noise out of the Q2XL? I have shot my XL for a couple of years and tried everything to eliminate the "twang" but I still have some of it. However, I shoot with a guy whose Q2XL is quiet - minimal string noise. Same set up as mine (string leeches, etc). Both bows shoot bullet holes and are set up exactly the same shooting the same weight arrows,etc.

What makes one bow quieter than the other. I'm in need of a replacement string. Is there one particular string that is superior from this noise standpoint than others???? Thanks in advance. It's making me crazy!
Old 02-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-04-2004, 02:53 PM

Default RE: Best String to eliminate stringe noise

I'm sure it is in the string. It is that unmistakable "thhwang". I had been warned about longer axle solo cam bows with those long strings.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Did you put leeches in the strings and cables?
Old 02-04-2004, 06:42 PM

Check your cable bushings ! They're where your cables attatch to your top limb on either side of the axle ! Besides that.......take it to a good shop...and make sure any bushings or washers are not missing or have anything wrong ! Yours should be as quiet as your friends......if not it's something besides your string IMO !! Good Luck !!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:19 AM

I've found different strings to have a slight affect on noise. Heavier strings are slightly quieter, but also slow the arrow a bit. I use Ultracam with a 16 strand string count. It is moderately heavy and it is very quiet. You can also expect a bit more noise if the cam is not in the correct position because of string creep. Make sure string and cable length is correct. Normally, these items don't make that much difference, unless one of them is extremely off specs.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 AM

Strings can impact noise. In general the Q2XL is a very quiet bow but various things can affect how much noise a bow puts out. These are my observations.

Arrow weight will affect noise levels more than anything.
String Leeches work but honestly Cat Whiskers work just as good.
A string loop will help reduce some string vibration.

A good high quality set of strings is well worth the price but different materials have different affects, I think it is honestly very small if even noticable as to which material has the least noise levels. The other vaiables I mentioned will have a larger affect than the actual string material.

If you are looking to replace your strings I have found that Stone Mountain makes a great set of strings for a great price. They are super high quality and will blow your Zebra strings out of the water!
Old 02-05-2004, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure the sting and cable are the right lengths. If one or the other is too long, the limbs won't be under the proper tension and the string won't be tight as it should be. Also, make sure your nocks aren't too tight. A nock that's too tight will pluck the string just like you're pickin' a banjo.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Are you sure that it is louder?The reason I ask is the bow you are shooting will seem louder than a bow that you are standing beside.If you and your friend are in agreement and he has shot yours and you have shot his then it probably is.

Strings can definately make a difference but strings that stretch seem to be quieter than ones that do not.A 450 string will not strech much but may be quite noisy where a fastflight string is quiet but stretches a bunch.Get a good set of strings made that are the proper length and imo, don't worry too much about the noise.If it is still too much noise for your liking,add some string leeches.
Old 02-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check to see if your nocking points are in the same spot. If your nocking point is higher , the arrow will oscelate more coming out of the bow. Even 1/8 in differance can make all the difference in the world. You could still shoot groups with the nock point being a little high. But will usually have a little more noise and you could also have trouble getting a fine tune on paper or bareshaft. The arrow rest will have to move along with the nock point if you find it high to maintain your square. Or it could be what the other guys have said, They are all good points. Good luck.