Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

? about backing out limbs on Liberty

Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM

Default ? about backing out limbs on Liberty

I was messing around earlier today with different draw weights on my new Liberty and it seemed fairly easy to back the limb bolts out. I made 5 full turns. When I went to put the limbs back in their original position (bottomed out at 72lbs), It was extremely hard to crank it back down. I was only able to get 4 full turns. Go figure [:@]. However there is no gap between the limbs and the riser and it actually feels a little stiffer to draw back. 3 questions:

1. Can you overtighten the limb bolts?
2. What could have caused this problem?
3. Would this cause any sync problems?

Thanks for any info ya'll can provide.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:34 PM

Default RE: ? about backing out limbs

I had the same problem on my PSE. The bow shop said to tighten the limbs as far as you can turn them. When you unscrew the bolts, you are releasing the draw weight. It has less tension. But when you tighten them, you are adding tension and it makes it harder. If all else fails, recount your turns, or ask your wife.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Three turns is usealy max , for backing out that is , with a martin maybe four , be carefull .
Old 02-03-2004, 09:46 PM

Swamp Dawg, I got a thought while reading your post and I hope that I'm wrong but maybe you backed the limb bolts to far out and when turning them back in they might have gotten cross threaded. The limb bolt is steel and screws into an aluminum riser. Is that possible?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:27 PM

I'm almost positive bowtech say's only 2 1/2 turns for your limbs. And if you went 5 [] you are lucky it did'nt explode or mess up your face! I would tend to agree with wolf. But then again maybe someone else might have a better idea................fishon
Old 02-04-2004, 05:26 AM

My bow shop guy said I can unscrew out my limbs untill they were just in the limb pockets. I said there is a 4 turn max. He said that is just there so you dont overturn. He unscrewed it 5 times and I have put 100's of shots through it. I also did this because it says it goes down to 50lbs and with 4 turns it went down to like 56lbs.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:47 AM

swamp dawg nothing to really worry about they alway turn in hader like zak said all my bows i have had do the same thing... another thing did you lossen the limb locking bolt up???????? i just turned my new mighty mite up and it went down pretty hard.. nothign really to wrroy about..another thing see if there is any aluminum shaveing come out if not nothing to woory about
Old 02-04-2004, 06:34 AM

It makes sense that Bowtech warns against backing limb bolts on the previous years models. There is a rubber grommet that maintains clearance between the limb and the limb pocket itself; it sits in a channel machined along the 3 enclosed sides of each pocket. If you have the inside face of the limb bolt ends backed out to the edge of the pockets, there is nothing holding the grommet in place and it can get pinched or completely displaced which will become a problem for you when you begin to return the limbs to the correct position. I understand there are probably other reasons BT stays with 2 1/2 turns or 10 lbs and that this probably isn't what is wrong with Swamp Dawgs bow because the new limb pocket design should eliminmate that possibility.

I bet if you removed the string and relaxed that bow, those limb bolts would turn very easily LOL. Probably with your fingers. Funny how that works....

-Chief
Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replys, guys. Oneida, No I did not loosen the limb locking bolts. Maybe I should have looked at an 03 owners manual before I decided to loosen the limbs since an 04 manual is not available yet. I really hope that I did not screw up my new bow [:'(]. I was able to get the bolts screwed all the way in, but it was extremely tough. No metal shavings or anything to suggest that I had it cross threaded. It seems to draw back just fine, but must admit, I am just a little concerned that I did something wrong .