Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

NEW BOW

Old 01-31-2004, 08:43 PM

Default NEW BOW

Well,
I have succombed to the sheer lack of peer pressure and ordered a Merlin Max Extreme. Now for the wait. Taking the big leap o' faith, buying without shooting, but hey, it should be fun, and what's life without a little risk? Now, by posting this, the pressure is on Mr. Pinwheel to deliver ahead of schedule.... Just kidding, but I will be checking my email for that tracking number constantly. Can't wait to shoot this baby, ought to be fun. Anybody wanna buy a Mathews???[8D]

JMAC
Old 02-01-2004, 01:14 AM

Default RE: NEW BOW

Its got to be a '03 or '04 and Left Handed!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 05:39 AM

Please post your impressions of the Max Extreme ..........I have done some serious thinking about taking that risk myself !!

I have never seen or shot a Merlin either.......have nothing to go on but internet posts !!
Old 02-01-2004, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

OK, "Quicky" version--

I just got a few bows in on Friday. I have been super busy trying to juggle everything that has just gotten the lid blown off it with this incredible bow. Every Bowhunting magazine in the USA has called for pics or taken a bow to test. EVERYONE that test-shot this bow at the ATA show walked away very impressed--we didn't have one person that didn't like the smoothness of draw or the quietness and lack of recoil and handshock. I set one up (same one we had at the show as a demo) after getting everything in and shot it again. I too was again immediately impressed. The bow just sits there. No jump, no recoil, no shake, rattle or roll. And this is with NOTHING on the bow other than a loop and rest.

Basics--

ATA is 33"

Brace height is 8"

Mass weight is 4lbs

I tested this one through a chrony and at 28.5" AMO drawlength (not 1-2 inches LONG like some other manufacturers[:'(]) set at 60lbs,(not 70lbs!) with FACTORY strings and cables made of 20 (count 'em, 20) strands of 8125 with braided serving, This bow shot a 300 g arrow at an average 278 fps, and a 420 grain arrow at average of 242fps This puts the bow in the mid-to high 290fps range at IBO legal weight at 30" Bump that up to 70lbs and you gain more there also. VERY competitive. Merlin could relly care less about being "the fastest" and all of that junk anyway, they focus on building extremely quiet and accurate bows. That is their primary concern. I can vouch for both, I will put this bow against any other on the market as far as quiet and handshock, and Merlins' accuracy is astounding, they have many European and World Field and FITA titles under their belts, and recently broke through in the USA by winning the Iowa Pro-Am event in Bowhunter Freestyle. There will be many more to come.

I shot the bow at 20yds with no sight on the bow and instinctively could keep 5 arrows in a 3" group. Excellent geometry.

I will have more to come, but I know you guys were craving some info, so this is what I have so far. Orders are pouring in, and once the reports are published, I'm sure it will get even more crazy. The "Syntech" limb laminates are awesome, they dampen the vibration significantly by covering the limb both front and back, and they also protect it.

All in all, so far I love this thing. I will certainly be retiring my Quest 31 with Whisper cams in favor of this bow, it really is "the next step forward". Good shooting, Pinwheel 12

Pics-

Old 02-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one on order allso . If it shoots anything like my max3ooo [same risor] it will be incredable . Man I love the grip on that thing it counteracts my tendancy to lean the top of the bow to the right and just feels right . I'll let you know when it gets here , how it looks and feels .
Old 02-01-2004, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Here's another pic-

Old 02-01-2004, 07:34 AM

Pinwheel,

I've shot a Max 3000 quite a bit and I like the grip . How does the grip on the Extreme compare? Is it offset?

Personally, I've never given a hoot about speed and have always demanded a high brace height. Right now I wouldn't even look at a bow with less then 8", so the Max Extreme will get a hard look from me.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

Straightarrow--

SAME riser as the Max 3000! We built it based on that superb riser, then added the new parabolic Pro Fusion limbs with the new "Syntech" laminate technology. If you like the Max 3000, you'll feel right at home with this one. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 02-01-2004, 09:47 AM

jmac,I know it's hard to oder a bow with holding it or shooting it. When I ordered my frist Merlin in 2001 I drove 2 hrs to see the Max 2000. After shooting more then a dozen different bows from different manufactors that year I knew immediatly the Max was the one. I didn't shoot it much before I had my order in. A few months ago I bought my second Merlin(Max 3000) from PW 12 sight unseen and never gave it a second thought. PW 12 talked me into the Omega cam cause I was looking for a rapid cam. Knowing I was a duel cam shooter and my indifference to any alternitive he still insisted on the Omega. I did it and he was so right. With PW 12 and Merlins customer service you will not be disappointed. Jerry
Old 02-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jerry, I appreciate the compliments! Pinwheel 12

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.