Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Confusion and frustration

Old 02-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow Confusion and frustration

I can't believe it,Arthur didn't lay into Robinhood on the carbon issue.[]

What's wrong Arthur,under the weather.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nah, I'm just in a generous mood today.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:28 PM

T fox,
Thanks, I've had it for a while but wanted to get the specifics on all the numbers. I didn't know where they get them so they didn't mean squat to me.

Phil, that helps a ton and puts it into terms I can understand I sent your toy back today btw...thanks again.

So as of now I'm shooting a 28 1/4" arrow 100gr head geared for 70 lbs (even though I'm backed down a bit for indoor) and looking at the 340 epics or the 2315's as "The old guys" suggest! Big difference in weights (396 or 513 finished acording to the charts)I know, I'll shoot them at the shop and see what the bow and the chrony says to me. I don't mind losing the speed if the effeciency and sound gap make up for it enough.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can't believe it,Arthur didn't lay into Robinhood on the carbon issue.
Yeah me too. I am in shock.

Ok, I gotta say it. Sure, carbons tend to be more durable than aluminums in many situations...but what good does it do if they aren't perfectly straight to begin with?

There, that was for you Arthur....
Old 02-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well done, Frank. But you know... I'dve added a few frills and blessings into the mix, especially about inconsistencies in carbon arrows' spine, weight and inside diameters.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:29 AM

Hi arthur
Thankx for not bashing me for my opinion.Cause i do this at the pro shop to but its usaully about bows LOL.Carbons when bought are straight or there not .Ive seen in one dozen 6 hold a group and the others are off slightly.what i do is number each arrow to find out which ones are more consistant than the other.I do shoot IBO competitively so i sight in a couple(arrows) to get me threw the course.As for hunting i do the same thing .The ones that group get tipped with broadheads the rest sit in my bow case.
I don't know your age ,but i do get most reliable info from two close friends that are in mid 60's .They also custom make my strings and cable.They also have been national staff shooters for High Country,Storm archery,And now Bowtech.I have respect for those who have forgotten more than i will ever learn.....LOL I just prefer Carbon and i can see you understand .
Old 02-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Trushot
2315 is a great shaft, and I'm sure that would work fine for you. When you go...try and shoot some 2216's as well, if you can. I've shot them @28" from 65 to 70lbs for years. I shoot a 125gr broadhead, so they would be a little stiffer for you as well. They are probably a little tougher than the 2315's overall since they have the thicker wall. IMO 2216's are probably the most versatile alum shaft there is. I've seen them work well in so many different setups. Just a thought.

Art, you going soft on us

Robinhood,
i video taped a friend that missed a buck clean and later that evening that same arrow drilled a doe.Carbon.
I've shot 3 deer with the same Aluminum arrow (and even the same broadhead) and it's actually still in my quiver. Just because your friend did it with carbons, doesn't mean it can't be done with aluminums. I will agree though, thin walled aluminums are fragile. Thick walled....thats a different story. [&:]

We are all intitled to or own wrong opinion
yep
Old 02-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Carbons are more durable, please.Lets get over this .I shoot 3D, the same metal arrow shot time after time hitting foam is bound to lose it straightness. .I shoot up to 300 or more arrows a week from now till deer season.I can't afford to buy or shoot metal arrows in to foam which will in do time ruin a metal arrow. If i miss a target and hit a tree the aluminum is DONE!!!!! I've seen it time and time again.I'm not saying that a carbon won't blow up crack break.But if stuck in a tree the most ican lose is the field tip and insert.I see 1000"s of shooters each year bowhunters,and competitive shooters.The majority shoot carbon.

Confused and frustrated must of had a taste of aliminum.
GO CARBONS
Old 02-04-2004, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

robinhood11x:
but i do get most reliable info from two close friends that are in mid 60's
Oh, Arthur is much older than that, or at least sounds like it.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, Arthur is much older than that...
NO I AIN'T! I just feel like it.

the same metal arrow shot time after time hitting foam is bound to lose it straightness.
Yes. That's why I have an arrow straightener. They have to be really wrecked to be to bad to straighten right back to factory tolerances, or better. Overall, aluminum is still a way better choice for my shooting than carbons are. Their straightness and consistency far overrides the bending issue... which I feel is way overblown.

At the prices some of the better carbons are going for, I'd rather just pony up a few bucks more and get ACC's, so I could get the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Arrow Confusion and frustration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.