Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Draw force, explain something to me

Old 01-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Draw force, explain something to me

Tonight I was at my shop to really take a long hard stare at the new Bowtechs. I took the Liberty off the rack, fitted it with a rest and put a sight and my Simms stab on it. This bow was 64lbs. I drew it, and couldn't beleive how easy it pulled. Maybe this is a dumb question, but how in the world can two bows, one with a harder draw and one like the Liberty have the same speed? Say a Hoyt Xtec at 64lbs and a Liberty at 64lbs. I'm kinda thinking you only get out what you put in. Explain how this all works to me.

I shot the heck out of it tonight. I loved the way it pulled, but I gotta tell ya, it had quite a bit of vibration in it to me. It wanted to jump from my hand on the shot and I found myself catching it. It does balance and aim well though, much better IMO than my Vipertec, but honestly, I don't think it compares in the Vibration category. It is however a very quiet bow, as quiet as my Vipertec.

I think the ease of draw and quietness outweigh the vibration I experienced in it. Very nice little bow.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Draw force, explain something to me

I loved the way it pulled, but I gotta tell ya, it had quite a bit of vibration in it to me. It wanted to jump from my hand on the shot and I found myself catching it. It does balance and aim well though, much better IMO than my Vipertec, but honestly, I don't think it compares in the Vibration category.
Just out of curiousity, did you check the cam timing? I can see how the bow might have more vibes if the Freedom cam was not in its correct rotational position. It is my only answer as I have owned both bows and thought they were about the same in the vibe and recoil categories.

As for the draw force curve comparison...I think that not just the perceived feel of the draw force curve comes into play when understanding speed comparisons. The first thing that pops into my head is how efficient the bow is at delivering the stored energy to the arrow. If the Freedom cam is more efficient in that regard, regardless of how smooth it feels, then you are going to see a higher energy output. The limb angle, riser geometry, etc.. probably all help to produce a more efficient release of energy. Also the materials being used have to be taken into consideration. What is the bowstring made out of? How about the limbs? I am sure that some materials are more efficient than others at storing and releasing energy.

It would be nice if it were as simple as "This bow has a hard draw cycle, it must be fast" but that is not always the case.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Frank is right on. It's efficiency, and the total efficiency of the shooting system.

Although it's not commonplace now, years ago you would get some unbelievably stiff drawing cams, and they really weren't any faster than other softer cams of the day. They used cheaper parts and/or were poorly constructed, and had too much friction (hysterisis) in the system.

As for the Vibe comparison, I thought they were very close to the same as well, perhaps the Viper having a slight edge. Were the VB's on the BowTech at the limb pocket or up near the cams?
Old 01-30-2004, 09:14 AM

I have shot the Liberty with just a rest on it .I felt no vibration at all what so ever .I was just over welmed with it .Not a bow mechanic by no means .but i've shot a feather lite Mathews that did get out of my hands from vibration left it hangin after that.The poundage on the Libert was at 70lbs ,and felt lots easer than that. Ilike new idle wheel diameter,and Freedom cams.
Old 01-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I figured I would raise some eyebrows with the Liberty comments. Frank, I thought the same thing when I first shot it, its was way out of whack timing wise. But as far as it looked, it looked fine. I am not a Bowtech cam expert, so I could easily be wrong. I just assume that it would be pretty close right out of the box with little tweaking required.

JeffB, my buddy and I did play with the Vibrablocks a little and we did find a what we both thought was the sweet spot on it, but it didn't seem to have any drastic effect.

The bow was setup 65lbs with just a rest and a ICS 400 @ 30" with a 100gr point. Enough to play with it.

I can honestly say I really like the feel of the bow and how it balances. I also found the grip to be beautiful on it. (camo wood) Cool look. And what can you say about the draw cycle. Probably the best I felt from a bow of that kind of specs.

Maybe I'll hammer on it this weekend some more. Try to figure out where all that added vibration was coming from.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

See if you can get your hands on another one to shoot. Sometimes a unit or two does "act funny" in comparison to what others are commenting on for that particular bow. I had it happen a couple times down at the shop. A customer would walk in and swear that this or that bow was the worst feeling in terms of vibration/recoil and then we would let him shoot one off the rack and it was like night or day. Just a thought.

As an afterthought....where in PA is Pleasant Gap? I have a Pleasant Valley relatively close by as well as a Wind Gap, Lehigh Gap, etc... but I cannot think of Pleasant Gap. If you are relatively close then we should get together and you can fire a few through my Liberty...and the MM while you are at it.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, I'm about 3 miles from State College if that helps. I'd be willing to travel a little bit to meet with you. Always did want to meet the Legendary PAbowhnter

My shop has a couple of Liberty's there, so tomorrow I'll pick that one up a fire a few. I'm also going to shoot the heck out of the Xtec. That bow is more my style I'm gradually finding out. I like mid length bow. The Liberty, because of its designs feels more like a mid length. Thats probably why it feels so good to me in the regard.

I am shocked at what I felt out of it. Everyone here loves that bow. I can see why. The one I shot had a lot of buzz to it. Frank, you and I both know about the Vipertec in that regard. That little bugger is amazingly quiet and shock free. I think its too short for my liking though.