Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hmmmmm.... FOC, very interesting....

Old 01-28-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Hmmmmm.... FOC, very interesting....

Hey guys,

After reading Buckeyes post, I decided to get out a bunch of my b-heads and test the FOC on my arrows.

My arrows are 28.25" GoldTip 3-D Pro 75/95's. The total arrow weight (without tips) is 305.425 grains

Okay, now, I got the FOC ratings by actually measuring my arrows with the tips in them, I don't like the component selection on Jacksons Archery as it doesn't account for the length of your b-heads. Here is what I got... from worst to best....

100 Grain 3-Blade N.A.P. Thunderheads------------------- 6.8%
100 Grain 2-Blade Rocky MT Gators------------------------ 6.9%
125 Grain 3-Blade Wasp SS-Series III--------------------- 8.3%
115 Grain 4-Blade Muzzy------------------------------------ 8.6%
125 Grain 2-Blade Vortex Pro Extreme-------------------- 8.8%
125 Grain 4-Blade Muzzy----------------------------------- 9.2%

I found these measurements very interesting. The 100 Grain Thunderhead was a huge disappointment. I thought that it would be better than it was, but if you think about it, most of the weight of the Thunderhead is toward the back of the broadhead.

The Vortex was a suprise as they were very long.

I guess that my best bet this year would be the 125 grain 4-blade Muzzys. I might get 3-Blades as I don't see how it could affect the FOC much. If anyone else knows of a b-head that will give me a FOC of 10%, or closer to it, with this set-up, let me know. Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hmmmmm.... FOC, very interesting....

Jason,
Whatever broadhead gives you the best flight and groups is the one to use........just because a chart tells you to use one thing over another, find out for yourself.
FOC ,as it has been described by maybe the best all around archer in the world, might stand for "For the Overly Concerned"
Even though I use Mechanical heads where FOC is probably of even less importance, I tend even to agree concerning fixed blade heads.....arrow spine, fletch style, spin testing, group tuning, even game I intend to hunt etc. would all be placed ahead of FOC for me when it comes to broadhead selection.

Just think about how poorly the new shorty style fixed heads from NAP, Wasp and the like will score on your FOC scale?

It does give one something to think about in the off-season though.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:17 PM

Matt,

I know what you are talking about. I am getting good flight from all of these b-heads out of my bow. They would all work out of my bow. The thing is, I am trying to find that one that will give me "the best" FOC while maintaining this accuracy. I'm not gonna shoot a junk b-head because it gives me a better FOC, that is just stupid. I want get the best b-head with "the best" FOC.

You know, this dang PA weather (we have almost 2 feet of snow here now) has got me tinkering. I was messing around with my TT Shakey Hunter tonight, I was messing around with my sight tonight trying to figure out which order I preferred for the pins, you know, red then green then yellow, or maybe yellow then green then red, but maybe green, then yellow, then red.

Heck, that isn't even the worst part. I have been setting my Webshots up to show only pictures of deer as my screen saver. I then turn my screen saver on, draw my bow back, and hold as still on the vitals as possible

God, it needs to stop snowing, plus this 15 degree temps with 40 MPH winds doesnt help
Old 01-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

The thing with foc is accuracy and penetration.I have tested different foc heads and for ME,an foc around 11%-12% penetrated best.Although they all flew good.Everyone will have a different sweet spot but most will be between 10%-15% foc.

If you are low on the ke scale,foc is of bigger importance,imo with penetration than if you are on the high end.

Just another spin on the old debate.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I tend to somewhat agree with Matt on this one. My FOC on most of my setups is less than desirable if you go by the generally accepted percentages. I do understand how you feel though as I have been tinkering around quite a bit over the last three days since this snow does not allow for much else.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:15 AM

FOC ,as it has been described by maybe the best all around archer in the world, might stand for "For the Overly Concerned"
Just curious, was he shooting fixed blade broadheads, when making this statement, or was he applying it to target archery, using field tips?

Personally, I've found it to be quite important with fixed blade broadheads, especially at longer distances. I also think it helps to have a higher FOC, when penetration is a concern. Is it absolutely necessary to have an FOC of 10 or over? I doubt it, in many situations. However, you wouldn't catch me shooting one in the 6 percent area. I also think that particular bows with poor nock travel, may benefit from a higher FOC, when shooting fixed blade broadheads.

All too often I see hunters having problems with their fixed blades flying well, and their solution is to try a different brand broadhead or go to a mechanical. In my opinion, many could be helped by experimenting with a stiffer spine and a higher FOC. Unfortunately, this will ususally increase arrow weight quite a bit, and most cannot mentally handle shooting a much slower arrow.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

SA,

He was indeed talking about target tipped arrows.

I'm with you, I like a heavy FOC w/ fixed blade heads. The higher (within reason) the better. at least 10% and I prefer 12-15%.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:11 AM

Hey BuckMag, do you have vanes or feathers on that back of those projectiles? If you have vanes you could very easily pull that thunderhead into the 10% range. You'd be quite surprised at just how much those dang guiders(vanes/feathers) affect FOC.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Are you actually measuring FOC or calculating? If you're calculating... did you add the insert weight into your calculations?
Old 01-29-2004, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

What formula did you use to account for the length of the broadhead on top of the arrow length? The formula I used only asked for BH weight. Does it make a big enough difference in FOC to run the numbers with the BH length? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Hmmmmm.... FOC, very interesting....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.