Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Should I buy another bow?

Old 01-28-2004, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Should I buy another bow?

I've been doing a little thinking. Can anyone smell the wood burning? Most of you probably know I just bought a Vipertec. I really like this little bow, but I feel like I am missing something. Oh yeah, a 3D bow. I shoot quite a few 3D's and am wondering how well the Vipertec is going to do in that regard. I am kinda second guessing myself a little and thinking maybe I should have went with the Xtec since it may be a better all arounder.

What do you think? Sell the Vipertec in favor of an Xtec, or keep it and buy maybe a good used Ultratec for 3D only?
Old 01-28-2004, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Should I buy another bow?

I can't see any reason why you can't use the vipertec for both hunting and 3D .I will probably be having the very same problem as you have right now. I know that there's no way I can talk my wife into another bow .I'll be using my new B/T dually for both hunting and 3D .

nubo
Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 PM

Hey Chris Bowtech's are in at the BowHunters Shop!!!![>:] Do it Do it!!! You know you want too!
Old 01-28-2004, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to shoot a 35" ATA Cybertec and really liked it's feel. I like the feel of the Vipertec, but am wondering how well its going to be for longer range 3D shoots. I just wanted to try a shorty.

Chad, please don't give me any more reasons to spend money this week.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muzzyman,like you I am a Hoyt fan and really look for reasons to get another BUT the wife would kick my you know what if I bought a new bow everytime I came up with an excuse to get one.[]

Seriously,if you want to get SERIOUS about 3-d,then yes a new bow may be in order but the Ultratec would be the first or maybe second choice behind the Protec.If you want to go out and stay in the hunter class,then the bow you have will serve you just fine.If it were me,I would have chosen the Xtec as the primary hunting bow and part time 3-d bow.The Vipertec is a great bow and will shoot just as good as any of the other bows but the person behind it has to be a little more on his game if winning is a priority.Of course you have to be on your game with any bow to win so the choice is really yours.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tfox, you really hit it on the head. I don't really have the funds for two bows, so selling the Vipertec would have to come first. I really want to get serious about shooting well in 3D. I did shoot awefully well with the Cybertec last summer during shoots. It balanced well. The Vipertec just seems to not fit me well for some reason. Maybe its becuase its my first short bow, I don't know. For now, I would like to get a bow that can do hunter class 3D, and take to the woods in the fall. Seems like the Xtec would fit that pretty well.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

First let me say that you haven't had the Viper long enough to give it an honest chance.I know some say geyt one that fits you but when you have shot a perticular bow for 2 years or more,it takes time to become 1 with the bow.The longer you shoot a bow the better it feels and shoots for you.Sometime they just don't seem to fit and a change is needed but a couple months,imo isn't long enough,especially if you aren't a pro and know exactly what a bow likes to be shot well.

Secondly,the Xtec is most likely the best bow for a hunter class bow and actuall field hunting bow combo available right now.

But if a little more is what you want,GET THE ULTRATEC,you will not be sorry and this bow will allow you to be comfortable doing whatever kind of shooting,hunting you want.It has won vegas(actually the shooter did)killed many animals in the field and won many 3-d tournaments in all classes.I have hunted with one for 3 years and I am able to shoot it with my but flat on the ground and facing the target at 30 yards.That will tell you that short a-a is overated for hunting and that the bow is forgiving and accurate.

Personally I am going to most likely keep my Ultratec for hunting and get the Xtec this fall for hunting OR I will keep the Ultra for hunting and get the Pro for 3-d but I shoot open and the Protec may be a better choice for me.See,you aren't the only one facing this delimma.[8D]