Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

newbie with no clue

Old 01-27-2004, 10:22 PM

Default newbie with no clue

can some one tell me what would be a good stater bow and accs.for a first year bow hunter? well yal have ans. the call to a newb thanks so much for the info and im going to start trin out bow's this week.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: newbie with no clue

You can get pretty basic stuff pretty economically to test things out to see if you like them. First of find a nice pro shop near you to make sure that you get setup correctly!!!! PSE, Browning, Darton, Martin, Parker, ect.. all make some great inexpensive bows that would be good to start with. A nice sight would prolly be one of the Truglos, Alpine softlock quiver, Scott Mongoose release, peep sight, wrist sling, and basic stabilizer (if needed). That and a 1/2 dozen Gold tip, PSE carbonforce, or other fairly in expensive carbon arrows. Pick up some decent broadheads. Then practice practice practice... then practice some more.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, exactly. And sometimes you can find a pretty darn good starter package fairly cheap.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:44 PM

Welcome to the forums and archery. I see you live in Rush Limbaugh's home town.

Everyone will tell you the best bow for you is the bow that feels and shoots best for you. I recently returned to archery after a many year absence and treated myself to a new bow. I didn't have the opportunity to shoot many bows, as is recommended. However, I had always heard good things about Martin's bows so I decided on a Martin Prowler SE. I paid $350 from Eders.com. I don't know that tis would be a great starter bow becasue the length from axle to axle is only 33 inches. One of the things I like about the Martin is that they offer bows for people with longer draw lengths.

As a general rule, a bow with a longer axle to axle length and high brace height will be most forgiving and satisfying to a new shooter. By forgiving I mean these bows will be more accurate, despite form faults on your part, than a shorter bow with a low brace height.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome Kornzilla! Yes it's a good idea to get the shop to help you out being new and all they can set you up correctly so you get a good start at archery .Good luck and I'm sure in the next month's ahead you'll be just like the rest of us ADDICTED.

nubo
Old 01-28-2004, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with nubo. The best advice I can give you is to get to a good pro shop and have your draw length measured. Make sure you get a bow that fits you! Check out lots of bows, shoot a bunch of them, and pick one that feels right to you. Good luck!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

kornzilla
The most important thing is to be sure to get a bow that fits you correctly. I would head to a pro shop and have them size you up. Like Kbacon said, there are alot of good inexpensive setups available. I think one of the better bows for the money is the PSE Nova. You can get the kit bow for around $200ish, which has all the accesories on it. Then all you need are arrows and broadheads, and ALOT of practice! Welcome to the sport and the board
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 companies that come to mind are bowtech and parker , both have package deals with allmost everything you need to get started , except maybe a release .
Old 01-28-2004, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

i just bought a Browning Rage friday and love it. from 10-20 yards it shoots just 1/4 inch lower. u can get it for around $250 probly $275 for accessories. it has a 21-31 draw length and weighs 3#s 9 ounces dry. i liked this bow and think that it shot fairly fast but have not had it chrono'd yet. u may be able 2 get a discount up 2 $50 off since the season has just ended and stores are marking items down. it also has 65% atcual let-off and 70% effective and is pretty easy 2 draw at 60#'s. good luck but shoot some before u buy.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can basically copy and past WV's post here as I would recommend much the same thing. Head to a reputable local shop and check out what he has in stock. If the shop is good then they will turn you in the right directions regarding draw length and bow specs. I do like recommending the PSE Nova though for most folks just getting into the sport. The specs are very forgiving and it is a relatively well made, inexpensive model.

Quick Reply: newbie with no clue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.