Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

brace height with 27in draw

Old 01-27-2004, 04:03 PM

Default brace height with 27in draw

i am currently shooting a brace height of 7.5 in---curious if brace ht. of 6.75 would really be a hinderance or not with such a short draw or possibly be more of and advantage
Old 01-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: brace height with 27in draw

Goldtip, I don't quite understand your question. Brace height and draw length really don't have anything in common. Brace is what it is whether you have a long or short draw. What you might notice is more speed and less forgiveness in the bow, depending on how good your shooting form is.

I am presently shooting a bow with 6 3/4" brace at 27" and no problems. Last year it was a similar bow with 7 3/8" brace. I've also shot bows with only a
5 3/4" brace with accuracy. It was fast, but also magnified any mistakes I made.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:01 PM

Default RE: brace height with 27in draw

Goldtip, I don't quite understand your question. Brace height and draw length really don't have anything in common. Brace is what it is whether you have a long or short draw. What you might notice is more speed and less forgiveness in the bow, depending on how good your shooting form is.
I don't agree with you, BGfisher. I person with a shorter draw length can shoot a shorter brace height with less problems than a person with a longer brace height.

Here is a quote from an article I read at hunters friend:

"SPECIAL NOTE: Tall guys with draw lengths 30" and above should be especially conscious of brace height - as a long draw length and a short brace height are normally a bad combination, particularly for new shooters.

Short-Draw Archers - Built in Forgiveness
However, if you are a short-draw archer (27" draw length or less), you'll be pleased to know you have a nice advantage regarding forgiveness and shootability on your compound bow. A bow which has a 6" brace height and is set for long 30" draw length will have roughly a 24" powerstroke. This means the during the shot, the arrow will remain in-contact with the string for approximately 24" - until the arrow finally releases. This would generally make for a rather unforgiving setup. But that same bow in the hands of the short-draw archer will be considerably MORE forgiving to shoot. Why? If a short-draw archer shoots the same bow at - say - 26" draw length, his/her powerstroke will only be 20" long, rather than 24". So the short-draw archer's arrow gets off the string in a shorter distance - thus the short-draw archer has some "built-in" benefits of forgiveness. If you are a short-draw archer, don't spend too much time fretting over brace height. Instead, consider shooting a bow that's a little more aggressive. The same bow that might give your 6'4" hunting buddy fits, will be quite manageable when set for your short draw length. And choosing a more aggressive bow will help you to recover some of the speed and power lost in a short-draw setup. "

Hope this helps.
Adam