Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Question about sights...problems?

Old 01-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question about sights...problems?

After reading the many threads on sights lately, and especially the one from IL_BOW_MAN about breaking his pins and wanting suggestions on new sights....it got me wondering.

How many of you have ever actually had a problem with your sights? I've been bowhunting for almost 20 years and NEVER had a single problem with any sight I've ever used. Never had one break, or even had a pin loosen up. I've drug them around the woods, through thick and thin, fell down on my bow, etc. Also, I've never had what most would consider to be a "good" sight. I just use basic (inexpensive) fiber optic sights. Probably in the $30-40 range.

I know there are some super nice sights available these days. (spot hogg, copper john, trophy ridge, etc) I'm not knocking these, just curious if all the hype and marketing that surrounds these newer (and really expensive) sights, is in reality unfounded. ???

I'm not trying to start a fight, or put down anyone that owns any of these....they are great sights for sure. I'm just curious if the super strong, or the 3ft of fiber optic (etc.. you know what I mean), is really something that folks feel is needed, and worth the money...or more just hype, and the "in" thing to have?? Personally for me (so far) I haven't actually seen the need for this. I've never broken anything, and my pins show up early and late enough that I would ever consider taking a shot.

Maybe I've just been lucky? What do you think?

Thanks Mike

*I edited it to say that I forgot to mention that I'm talking about a basic hunting set up. I'm sure the guy that shoots 50,000 shots a year is gonna have different results than the avg bowhunter who shoots a few thousand shots each year.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM

Default RE: Question about sights...problems?

I snagged the fibers in the bush on a copper Johns and it broke, I snagged the fiber on my toxonics and it broke also. I go into heavy cover from time to time and it must be hard on those fiber pins..
One the toxonics it was the pendulum pin so I bought a new one.
with the cooper johns I just bought some fiber and replaced it..
Old 01-27-2004, 10:47 AM

is really something that folks feel is needed, and worth the money...or more just hype, and the "in" thing to have??
Did your PSE ever break on you??????..........LOL

I am a very edumacated consumer

If it costs more I know it has to be better
Old 01-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2004, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've been in situations where sights have prevented me from being able to shoot, like in low light, or when I needed to cant the bow to clear obstructions. I've had pins vibrate loose and move. I've broken fiber optics. I've bent sight bars when I've accidently dropped my bow. At one tournament, sneaky #%*! took a pair of pliers and bent my 30 yard pin while I was getting a hotdog and drink!

I don't have problems with sights any more though. I don't USE them any more.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did your PSE ever break on you??????..........LOL
LOL. You mean those high dollar, super strong factory pse sights?

That's part of the reason I was asking....believe it or not, never had a problem and they are definitely not strong or high dollar, by any means. When purchasing new sight for my bows, I've honestly never really thought about that being a concern. Thats what got me thinking about it....wondering who actually had problems before, and if it was really a common problem.

I'm sure if you owned a proshop or similar, you'd probably see your share of broken sights among other things. I was thinking about it, and I don't think any of my hunting buddies have had problems either. Maybe I've just gotten lucky

I think if I was dead set on having the strongest sight out there, the spot hogg would fit the bill. Of course then if I got them I wouldn't need a rope to lower my bow Rack...I know why you use them

Arthur...think how much money you are saving[:-] Only thing you have to worry about is eye surgery when they go south[8D]
Old 01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had problem's with breaking the fibre's from my pin's .but I think most people do as well but when it comes to choosing I think people go for look's or they buy it because they read good advertising .

Nubo
Old 01-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Well back in the day.. I used to like to shoot cross hair sights.. and went through a couple different versions before I gave up on them. No matter what they always made a ton of racket.. esp out of a 80# PSE Caroll Intruder. Then I got the PSE RS Glo sight and it worked very well.. did have a little issue w/ the pins stripping out if they were tighened too much.. But then I was out of the sport for a few years. And now I'm back.. and when researching the web I found lots of recomendations for the Copper John, Trophy Ridge, Spot Hogg, ect... I went and tried out the trophy ridge and didn't like the vert pins or the plastic construction. Then I was down to the Copper John and the Spot Hogg.. which was decided when I got a good deal on a used Hogg It on AT classifieds.

After receiving it.. I noticed that the mounting bracket was for a LH model for some reason. I contacted them and they offered to swap it out free of charge and send me some new fibers for it also free of charge. I was amazed at the awesome customer service. Not to mention I really love the adjustability on this sight... esp the no lock down feature.. just adjust the allen screw and shoot. No need to loosen a lock down screw, make the adjustment, then tighten the lock down screw. They can consider me a customer for life.. and I'll recomend it to everyone that I know. Awesome product w/ awesome customer service.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM

LOL. You mean those high dollar, super strong factory pse sights?
No......I was talking about the Bow

That shot great, never gave you problems, killed lots of deer, yet you still went out and...................................

Get the drift

Sure the lower end sights can work fine

But why spend 30 when you can spend 100 for almost the same thing[&:]
Old 01-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only sight that I have ever had any problem with anything breaking or coming loose was a Trophy Ridge. Pins broke, sight housing rattled and worked it's way loose all the time. After I got tired of that POS I bought a $20 Cobra at Wally World and have had not problem one with it.

If enough people see it in magazines or on TV they will buy it no matter how good or bad it performs.

Quick Reply: Question about sights...problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.