Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New NAP Vanes(Pic)!

Old 01-27-2004, 04:24 AM

Default RE: New NAP Vanes(Pic)!

For the guys who have some of these vanes to try out, what kind of resin are these vanes made out of? In the pic the look like they MIGHT (you can only tell so much from a picture) be made out of the same stuff that AAE vanes are. I'd also be interested in how durable these vanes are. It looks like the fin might be the 'weak link' - is it easy to rip the fins off the vane?
Old 01-27-2004, 07:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-27-2004, 07:32 AM

Why on earth would you want to put a heavier fletch on that is designed to slow your arrow down???

Is everyone really having that many problems getting stable arrow flight?

Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like a solution looking for a problem to me.
Beyond a bent stick with a string tied to each end and an arrow, everything else is a solution looking for a problem. This solution breeds another problem, the solution to that breeds another problem, and so on and so forth. There are a bazillion archery items on the market that fall into the 'solution looking for a problem' category. So, what's new?

Mechanical broadheads are the current solution for unstable arrow flight. Their problem is inconsistent performance. If these vanes give the stability to reduce the number of mechanical heads out there in the woods, then I am all for them!
Old 01-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love feathers myself , switching this year from 4" to 5" madea HUGE diferance . For you guys and gals who like vanes as much as I like feathers , I guess this will be something to try , switching from 4" vanes to 5" i presume would have similar results at a lower cost . Now to the drawback , thy say your groups tend to open up farter down range with more drag at the rear of the arrow . I have not noticed this much myself as I genraly shoot only out to 40 yards , but this maybe something to consider .
Old 01-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

The little lip looked to be as pliable as the vane.. and not easily torn off. The vanes were pretty pliable. These vanes can be fletched completely straight and still have have just as much spin as a helical vane/feather. The more you offset them.. the more they spin (duh!)... Therefor these vanes would eliminated fletching contact problems that people have using full helical setups. Might even make drop aways obsolete, ect.. People using wisker biscuit style rests would have several of their issues eliminated also. I see lots of benefits to these w/ very few draw backs. I can't wait to give them a try.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

KBacon:

That is interesting that you should mention that using them with a Whisker Biscuit would solve problems. I looked at the design, and wondered if I would be able to use them at all with the Biscuit. If they are made of softer material, like AAE Plastifletch Elite, then the Biscuit wil give then a set of "ruffles" in short order. LOL

I thought the new Speedflytes were kind of expensive for vanes, and don't really care for having to rough up the base of each one before fletching them. They do hold up to "Biscuit abuse" pretty well, though.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Joe.. you may be right... but I was just listing possible problems that these vanes might remedy. Won't know for sure till they start shipping them.

I find it funny that companies are coming out w/ stiffer vanes for use w/ the biscuit... My dad has a huge box of like a 1000 old bohning vanes that are about as stiff as you can get.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM

That is an incredibly simple concept. For those of you wondering, I'm pretty sure that by having the grooves on one side and smooth on the other side will give a change in air pressure on opposite sides of the fletch...much like that of a wing on an airplane. Air resistance will theoretically be less on the grooved side decreaseing pressure which will allow the small weight on the tip to fold the vane over giving it a natural helical, which in turn will twist the arrow.

I'm not sure on that...but another explanation would be that the decrease in air pressure will force the vane to 'fall' continuosly along a path of lower pressure...With each vane falling continuosly, they will bring the arrow into a twist which will aid in momentum causing it to eventually turn faster and faster and faster. So theoretically, the farther the arrow twists at an exponential rate, faster and tighter at longer distances...not a constant twist.

You guys let me know what you think of my explanation. I'm really interested to hear comments. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:48 PM

Do you guys think they'll be noisy ?

Quick Reply: New NAP Vanes(Pic)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.