Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

[Deleted]

Old 01-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP, I'M HITTING NOCKS

You can't put the pin on the target but you still hit the center 296/300....I would say don't "fix" what ain't broke and stick with the trigger!!
Old 01-26-2004, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of all the crazy things... thinking thru my response to your question and I had a sudden flash of illumination into my worst shooting problem with my longbow.

If you're freezing below the target, then draw slightly above the target and relax the sight into it. I did not say to sky draw! Just slightly above the target and relax the pin into the dot.

Some years back after reading Abell's 'Instinctive Shooting' book, I changed my stickbow form and never shot anywhere close to as good as I did before. Here recently, I've been trying to recover the form I used to use when I did shoot good. Slowly but surely it's all been coming back. I think this was the last piece to my own puzzle!

Anyway, as far as using back tension vs trigger pull, I think BT is best for targets and trigger pull - as long as you don't punch the trigger - is best for hunting. If you have a problem with punching, then stick with back tension for all your shooting.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:11 AM

If you are anchoring different with the BT release, then you may have to adjust your sights. If you're putting torque on the bow (or eliminating torque with your new technique), and causing the arrowing to fly different, then you either have to always torque it the same or move your sights.

When I use a back tension release, my sight must be adjusted. Not 6", but a couple inches at 20 yards. For me, it's because I anchor slightly different and my BT release is not as close to my face as my trigger release. The reason is because the back of my hand is against my face when using the BT release and it is not with my trigger release.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I am reading your post correctly you are shooting it seems , a finger release with back tension. I do this myself. Yes it is common to have different impact points with the same release shot with two different methods. Practice the method that you will be shooting with and use that in your shot sequence. When you shoot with back tension, you are holding the bow with the shorter stronger muscles in your back and not the weaker longer muscles in your arms. Thus causing you hold steadier and push through your shot. With this method you would be putting pressure on a different part of the handle causing the bow to torque differently as posted on another response to this thread. After a while shooting with back tension becomes second nature. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:17 AM

Hey Greg,
I had a very simlilar situation yesterday. I went to a very good pro shop yesterday to get some new arrows and snoop around. I go on the range with one of the pros to play around and he asked me if I'd like a little advice.

I can put 2 out of 3 in the yellow darn near every time now. He had me blind bale shoot, switched my release procedure and I was 4"high and 2 right with all the arrows touching at 20 yards.

He told me to keep shooting till I got 20 arrows through practicing the release and I was absolutely smakin nocks. We adjusted my sight and I'm gold and can't wait for the thursday league.

Take what you will from the story.