Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Any News yet from the ATA show

Old 01-27-2004, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Any News yet from the ATA show

Len-

It was nice to see you at the show, we'll need to take more time next year and chew the fat more than we did. Thanks for the thumbs up, I knew you'd like it.

WWAG-

Yeah, they are fun really, I got a heckova kick out of them. Plus it will give you something to do on stand if you bring a can along--you can just roll one around between your fingers when times are slow, or you can set "traps" for any red squirrels or chickadees that may come along![8D]

Orions_bow-

Yep, Semis are always in the way, aren't they?[8D]

Straightarrow-

The Gladiator 2 did pull smooth, much like many bows did this year. I didn't happen to draw the Machete twin tho. Unfortunately there was no place to shoot them tho, you are correct. Maybe next year. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-27-2004, 05:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great.....just great...now I am going to see even more archers "picking at their boogers" on the 3D range this season....

Old 01-27-2004, 03:22 PM

The only boogers I want on my bow is from a bugleing bull at 5 yds. If this stuff becomes popular we're going to have to where eye protection on the range.LOL Jerry
Old 01-28-2004, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

I dunno Jerry, I tend to think they'll probably stay on as a "novelty" item more than anything else, even tho they do work to an extent. Who knows, crrazier things have happened tho!

I really like the new Carter Chocolate Addiction target release, and NAP had a new broadhead along with their "Quickspin" vanes that looked interesting.

Easton Axis arrows will undoubtedly be a hit. Vibracheck Stabilizers are awesome, HI-Tek stabilizers had some GREAT pricing!

APA rests are cool too, and are one of my new favorites. Nibal (CEO of APA) spoke with me at length on a couple of occasions about his designs, and he was nice enough to let us install some of his designs on the Merlin bows at our demo booth. I particularly liked his "sideloader". Very rugged, simple rest. Shot well with many different sized arrows.

Scentlok "Dakota Fleece" is nice stuff too, as are the Lone Wolf treestands.

Tons of stuff! Unfortunately I didn't get to see much of it, but I'm going thru the two foot deep pile of catalogs and price lists the staff grabbed for me, and there is some nice new improvements for 2004 out there.

Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-28-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel 12 wrote:

APA rests are cool too, and are one of my new favorites. Nibal (CEO of APA) spoke with me at length on a couple of occasions about his designs, and he was nice enough to let us install some of his designs on the Merlin bows at our demo booth. I particularly liked his "sideloader". Very rugged, simple rest. Shot well with many different sized arrows.
Pinwheel, are you talking about the drop, er twist away or fixed version of this rest?

For a containment rest, how would you compare it to say a whisker biscuit?
Old 01-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Rangeball-

As you know I have no use for drop-away rests of any kind, especially now that there are vanes that spin with a straight fletch as much as any 'regular' full helical--fletching contact is thus no longer an issue, which is why the drop-aways were invented in the first place.

I was talking about the APA Ultimate fixed-containment rest, especially the new sideloader. The only thing I see that it needs is some sort of silencing material around the entire containment border for it to be extremely and totally effective---Nibal told me that they have stick-on fleece wraps that take care of this and eliminates any noise while drawing or should an arrow bounce off the sides while in a tree or whatever. I like these rests--they are simple, and very rugged. Accuracy at hunting ranges I figure will be at least on par with a biskit. A biskit does have an added advantage of never having to look down to be sure the arrow is in correct position, but this rest has a nice arrow catch so that shouldn't be much of a problem either IMO.

They also make a micro-adjust model for target work. I like the standard sideloader for practical hunting applications. Nice product. Good shooting, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pinwheel 12 wrote:

Rangeball-

As you know I have no use for drop-away rests of any kind,
That's why I asked...

Wasn't the knock on their fixed position rest when it first came out that it was hard on anything other than straight or slightly offset fletch due to lack of clearance?

Did they address this somehow, assuming one still wants to shoot feathers instead of the new vanes?
Old 01-28-2004, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

The APA guy told me that they'll be making a side loading version of the drop away also. I believe this will be my next rest.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Rangeball-

Yep, they increased the width a mite, on some of their models it is easily adjustable, but the sideloader has the heavy gauge wire running down around the bottom continuously so it will be difficult to adjust it without a 16" prybar, or at least an 8" one. [8D] I think for hunting purposes this rest is more than adequate, and for the dropaway loyalists their new version would make a fine design for them as well IMHO. Pinwheel 12