Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Finally....Trophy Taker success!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Finally....Trophy Taker success!

Well guys, I finally got it right. It was in no way the rest's fault. It was due to some mysterious force held on me by the bow gods.

In all seriousness, I finally think I got it. For starters, I was mounting the rest way too low. The prongs were hitting the shelf, but weren't getting far enough down. All I needed was about 1/8 up to get the prongs to lay down flatter on the shelf. I had to move my nock point up. Interestingly enough, I'm at 1/8" above square and that got me perfect holes in paper from 6 to 12 feet.

Afterwards, once everything was set, I tied a knot in the string tight against the cable, burned the string till it touched the knot and mushroomed it. Because I'm still nervous about the rope slipping. I served the cable under the string as well cinching it up against where the string goes through the cable.

I still have a little tag on the end that goes through the rest, but I"m kind of waiting to see what happens next.

I'm still working on silencing it more, its still a little too noisy for my taste, but all in all, I think I like this rest. Solid and simple.

Thanks for everyone's help and input.

Here are a couple pictures of my problem child.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Finally....Trophy Taker success!

closer view of Trophy Taker

Old 01-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

muzzy, does this mean I can't buy it?[:@] Glad you got it straightened out. They are a very good rest.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

pdq, the jury is still out. I haven't tested it for durability yet. I know, I know, I'm too judgemental. I never had a lick of trouble with the NAP 4K. So if the TT cord doesn't hold up, off it will come and on goes the NAP.

I promise if I do unload the TT, you get first dibbs.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:51 PM

The dang thing is made of aluminum with very minimal parts. How much more durable can something get
Old 01-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

That dang rope!! I am still nervous as heck about the string. I prefer something a little more secure. But its probably my imagination.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:06 AM

I never had a lick of trouble with the NAP 4K. So if the TT cord doesn't hold up, off it will come and on goes the NAP 4k,
If true, why did you change and what is/was it you hope(d) to gain?
Old 01-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Muzzy,

That is a "purrrrrrty" bow you got there. It definitely does not look like you spared any expense on cheap accessories. I hope the rest continues to work out well for you.
Old 01-22-2004, 04:59 AM

Glad to hear you got things to work Muzzy, I really am not worried about the attachment cord. It seems really tough and durable, I have heard from guys who have been shooting the same cord for 2+ years and it has not shown any signs of wear at all. The more I shoot my New Shakey Hunter the more I like it. It is so nice to know my arrow is not going to jump off my rest at full draw. One less thing to worry about while shooting. In your pics you don't seem to have any moleskin on the back part of your riser shelf. I doubled mine up in that area just to make sure it was super quiet. You may want to try that
Old 01-22-2004, 05:46 AM

Hey Muz a few questions, Do you have the short or long mounting bar on your trophy taker? Also when your rest is in the down position is it absolutely flat on the shelf or is it still angled slightly?

Quick Reply: Finally....Trophy Taker success!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.