Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How do you measure your draw length??

Old 01-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Default How do you measure your draw length??

What is the best way to measure you draw lenght? I am left handed and sometimes there isn't a left handed bow to draw in the shop where I go. I usually have to order a bow when I want one. I am now shooting a 29" draw and I believe it is to long.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:37 PM

Default RE: How do you measure your draw length??

http://www.bowsales.com/draw_length.htm Probably not the best way. My bow shop has a bow that you can draw with left and right hand to determine your draw length.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Detroit, what zak is quoting is called the "wingspan" method of determining drawlength, devised by Bernie Perrelite. I tried it and it left me a bit on the short side so I came up with another version. Measure your wingspan and divide it by 2.5
That left me with a measurement of 67", divided by 2.5 That comes real close to the 27" that I presently shoot which is real comfy for me. I used to be like most guys and shoot too long (28.25"). Made a world of difference in aiming ability and accuracy when I finally got it right.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, the wingspan method is just a tool to get you in the ball park....usually within an inch of your actual draw length.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

PA,

When I take my windspan and devide by 2.5, I get the exact drawlength that Bernie recommends. Which is also the draw length that I shoot.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

I heard a World Class archer give this little test.... Stand next to an open door. Take your bow stance (pretend your drawing a bow) with your hand on the end of the door. Remember to use the same wrist position as your bow. If your bow is a low wrist, place your hand in the low wrist position on the end of the door. Measure (with a tape measure) from the door to the tip of your nose. That's your draw length. I checked this on some very experienced shooters and the biggest error was 1/16" the others were exact. But, they all had longer ata (38" or longer) bows.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

When I take my windspan and devide by 2.5, I get the exact drawlength that Bernie recommends. Which is also the draw length that I shoot.
SA,

Exactly...if it is not right on initially then it should give you an estimate within an inch of your actual draw.