Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 01:43 PM

Default Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

Okay guys, I put a post on about getting a new draw module for my Liberty and I decided to get you guy's opinions.

This bow is set at 29.5" draw and I use to shoot 30" draw comfortablly. The shop where I got my bow told me to get a 29.5" draw as it would probablly be a better fit, but, I still am not entirely comfortable with it.

In order to be comfortable with my nocking point, I have to bend my left elbow a good bit.

So, what do you guys think? Should I go back up to a 30" draw or just try and get comfortable with this?

Old 01-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

IMO, ijimmy said it in the other thread. It's what you are comfortable with. Many people can shoot different draw lengths (+/-) based on where they anchor, and where they are comfortable (within reason).
Old 01-21-2004, 01:59 PM

my advise is to get that wrist strap tighter

Shorten up the release

and shorten your draw - you look long in that picture.

You also look way deep into the grip

Shoulder is down though and the rest looks good
Old 01-21-2004, 02:06 PM

I'm no expert.....but I agree with RA ....it looks a little long now to me too ! And I would shorten your release also !! Good Luck !
Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, to be truthful about it... It looks to me like the draw length you've got there is at least 1 1/2" too long. If you straightened out your elbow, you'd be closer to right. Your stringside elbow is way too high, but that's caused by aiming at something lower than shoulder height and not bending at the hips. Got a little too much palm into the grip on the bow. Your inside of your bow arm elbow needs to be rotated more perpendicular to the floor. And the wrist strap on your release looks like it's cutting off the circulation to your fingers, unless you've been playing with purple dye.

I know you don't want to hear any of that, but it's my point of view.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:59 PM

I know you don't want to hear any of that, but it's my point of view.
Actually Art, it is the opposite. I am always looking to improve myself.

That anchor point in the picture, where my elbow is bent a good bit, is where it felt most comfortable. If I straighten out my arm, the edge of my release is right around the corner of my mouth, and it feels short.

P.S. I was holding the bow at full draw for several minutes and my release started to take out my circulation in my hand!!!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2004, 03:27 PM

Dont know if this will help you but....When my release is on my wrist I can hold my hand open and the head of the release lays in the middle of my fingers..(My knuckle line)..Not sure where yours lay but you might want to tighten it up...
Old 01-21-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with everyone else here. You do look very long in that picture. Right about an inch or better judging by that. But its what you feel most comfortable shooting and are most consistant with. Keep in mind that usually, if you have to make a drastic change in your length from what you are used to, or in your anchor, it may feel weird at first. But eventually you will feel just as comfortable or even more comfy in that spot.

I personally shoot an honest 29" draw, but am more consistant with it at 28.5. Its only a 1/2, but it makes a big difference for me.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:14 PM

Okay guys,

Here is a pic of me without my arm bent. As you can see, this puts the release right around the back of my lips. This is more like the form that I use when hunting. My release hand looks a little strange because I don't have my finger on the trigger as I don't want any possability of dry firing the bow.

Old 01-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

All these draw length posts got me curious as to what I look like from the side.
I checked it out when I got home. (It's not pretty guys![]LOL)
BM, after looking at myself in the mirror, it looks like you are about an inch farther back than I am.

I've shot a 29" draw for about 10 years. When I started, I also shot a 30" as I was self taught, and didn't know any better...just bought a bow and went with it. Finally years later, someone suggested I was too long. It turned out I was. I dropped an inch, and it was ALOT better. I use a 3 reference points when I anchor. With my bow elbow slightly bent, my release is at the corner of my mouth, the front of my nose touches the string, and I use a peep. This has always seemed to work for me, and is very consistent and comfortable.

I'm no expert by any means. I was thinking though...wouldn't where you anchor make a difference? I know some folks that anchor very low, and they have longer draw lengths because of it. ???? I have never been comfortable with a low anchor, but if you were and could shoot good....is that wrong?

I do agree with the idea that shorter is better than longer if you had to choose, especially for hunting. In fact I know a couple folks that shoot a 1" short draw because for hunting that is what they like best. When your up in a stand, and it's cold and you've got alot of clothes on...it's probably better to NOT be too long.

Quick Reply: Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.