Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another Form/Draw Length Picture!!!!!

The first pic looks like the string is in the correct place. It's touching your nose and the corner of your mouth. The release looks to be too long though and needs to be shortened up a bit.

In the second pic your draw length appears to be too short. It is not touching your nose or the corner of your mouth.

Actually I think your set draw length is correct but you are too streched out too much so it appears to be too short. If you bend your bow arm slightly you should be in the correct place. Loosen up just a little bit. You look like a statue.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok you posted that new pic while I was typing my reply. Looking at the new pic, compared to me, you are still look a little longer than I am...maybe 1/2". The original pic looks like it was at least 1", maybe more. I anchor a tad higher than you, so it's not exactly the same. I can stick my tongue out of the corner of my mouth and touch my arrow nock at full draw. And my arm is also bent slightly. Of course theres no saying I am correct with mine either.

So maybe Arthur was dead on?? It wouldn't suprise me.

BM....what do you measure out at using the wingspan method? Have you ever checked?
Old 01-21-2004, 06:01 PM

Hey guys,

I just measured my wing-spin. From the tip of my middle finger to the tip of my other middle finger is............ 74-3/8"
Old 01-21-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If my brain is working right, I believe that puts you probably about right with the 29.5" module.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:00 PM

I just checked out the "wingspan" charts and since I have a 74-3/8" wingspan, that puts me in between a 29.5 and a 30" draw length (according to the charts)
Old 01-21-2004, 11:54 PM

The only problem I see in the first picture has already been covered by RA and Arthur.

In the second picture you bow grip still does not look right.
Do you have your knuckles at 45 degrees to the riser?

Having the 45 degrees will take most of the palm out of the grip.

I was taught never to cross the life line.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

The first pic looks like the string is in the correct place. It's touching your nose and the corner of your mouth. The release looks to be too long though and needs to be shortened up a bit.

In the second pic your draw length appears to be too short. It is not touching your nose or the corner of your mouth.
I am with bigbulls on this one...though I agree with the others about your grip in the first picture. In the second picture you can tell that you are putting more pressure forward on the grip as your wrist is turned in too much in my opinion. I would believe that to be the result of forcing a straight arm when you are not entirely comfortable with it.

Third pic?
Old 01-22-2004, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think this might be the very reason so many people are shooting draw lengths that are actually 1-2" too long... At true draw length, the string angle on these short bows don't allow a secondary anchor reference (ie. string to the tip of the nose) and the peep is way too far from the eye. So, add another inch or two and everything clears up. Only problem is, the shooter's back is so collapsed that there is no way to achieve proper back tension.

IMO, the draw length in pic 2 is still a good 1/2" too long. If you were to use a natural elbow position, one where you weren't forcing it so straight, you'd be an inch long.

Here's the changes I'd recommend. The nock should not come back past the corner of the mouth. The release hand will be rotated to face palm OUT, away from the face, which should ease the strain on the forearm muscles and make things more comfortable for you. For a solid, repeatable anchor, the knuckle at the base of the index finger should bury right up in behind the jawbone, just touching the bottom of the ear lobe.

Now, the bow arm. Without your bow... Assume your shooting stance. Hold your bow arm out like you'd be aiming your bow, hand palm down. At the shoulder, rotate your upper arm so that the inside bend of your elbow is straight up and down. At the wrist, rotate the palm of your hand so that your thumb is pointing UP at about a 45 degree angle. Now, while holding that alignment, relax your elbow. THAT is the position you want your bow arm in while shooting.

Look real close at the base of your hand in pic 2. See that little "baby's butt" next to the handle? You bow's grip should be running right down the middle of that, not off to the side like you have it. Your current grip is causing you some torque.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...t=Dave+Cousins

If you will look at that thread, there is a picture of Dave Cousins shooting, toward the top. Also, look at the Mathews website and click on ProStaff. You can see several different form pitures in there. I don't think by comparing your form to the pros that your draw length has been too long in any of the pics. In the last picture you need to lower your bow shoulder, roll your bow elbow out a little, and relax your bow hand (let the bow find it's natural position, try putting veseline on the grip and it will go to it's natural position) and relax your bow elbow (not bend just relax). Also relax your release hand and look at shortening it up a bit (the release). Your draw elbow looks pretty good. It could be a little higher but not bad.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:37 AM

At least for me, It's easier to figure when a bow is too short, than too long. Seems like there is always a place to tuck a few extra inches of draw length, but when you come up short, it's a whole other thing. So I work up to finding the most compact stance that feels good, rather than working down from a bow I hope I am large enough to draw.

Have a look at top shooters here:

http://www.arcierimonica.it/wbeste.htm

Check out the women because some of the pictures seem clearer than for the guys.