Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Dodged a bullet last night...Reminder for everyone

Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dodged a bullet last night...Reminder for everyone

I just wanted to pass this along to everyone. Last night after fiddling with my TT rest and was refletching a couple arrows that I messed the fletching up on. I typically check my shafts for damage regularly though I'm probably guilty of not doing it as often as I should.

Last night was one of the nights I did while refletching. I grabed a shaft and took the vanes off, sanded and cleaned it for fletching. Afterwards and flexed the shaft a little and there it was, that slight cracking, tearing sound. I inspected it closer and found a crack out 3 inches below the fletching. I really hope I didn't shoot this arrow last night like that. I did slap a couple shafts but didn't think too much of it. Talk about a close call!

Check those arrows on a regular basis, especially if you hitting shafts at the range. Check them when you pull them from that target. If one decides to come apart, it can be ugly.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:43 AM

Default RE: Dodged a bullet last night...Reminder for everyone

Good reminder Muzzy, I always check mine when I think I may have it it while shooting and I even periodically check them when I have nothing to do.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dragged out some of my old Easton Epics last week to do a little DART shooting with them out of my recurve. Went to the range yesterday and was doing a pre-session inspection of my arrows. Found two of those Epics were broken nearly in half. One about 4" down from the fletches and the other right behind the point insert.[]

I'd have never thought the screen on the DART system could break a carbon, especially out of a 55 pound recurve, but I guess hitting the screen at an angle on some of those shots...

Anyway, a person that doesn't check ALL the arrows in his/her quiver before shooting is simply asking for trouble.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I ran into much the same thing the other night as well. I pulled out my "odd arrow" box to look for some of the Carbon Express I had been using in previous years. I was going to refletch them with shorter fletching to get the total arrow weight down a bit when I noticed that two were cracked at the nock end. I guess that is why they were in my odd box to begin with.

Definitely good advice mm.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:05 AM

Be sure to inspect nocks also, as I have found damaged nocks as well.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:59 PM

muzzyman88 I was 14 and was shooting a cheap $1.50 arrow and noticed it was cracking. I just ignored it. Messed up real bad. I could wave it in the air and it would bend all the way back. Split all the way down. Well one day I shot it and there was a cloud of arrow parts everywhere. I felt pain. I looked down and had splinters all in my hands. I could have gotten them in my eyes. Everyone make sure these arrows aren't cracked. I was shooting out of a 18 lb bow. Imagine a 50+ lb bow.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was almost like pure coincidence for me last night when I found the arrow like that. I just posted a couple weeks ago about a guy at a shop I was visiting and shooting at had his bow explode on him. Now, I don't think it was an arrow, it was the idiot behind the bow. He was shooting way too light for his poundage when it had enough and bit him. But I'll tell ya, it scared the bajeebers out me when I heard it. Hopefully, I never hear that a foot in front of my face.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:49 PM

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER MUZZY. MADE ME CHECK MINE AND FOUND THAT I HAD A BAD ARROW.