Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Updated w/ new pic: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Old 01-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Updated w/ new pic: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

OK, here's the deal. One of the shops in our area invited me to come back and shoot his Outback some more. I had to go through his town anyway today, so I threw my bow, some arrows, and my release in the Jeep this morning. That way, I could shoot my MQ-1 side-by-side with the Outback and really get a closer comparison.

I walk in the shop, explain to one of the helpers that I had talked to the shop's owner a couple days ago, and he wanted me to come back and shoot the Outback when I had my release with me. She starts off by wanting to measure my wingspan and everything; I told her, "Uh, I've been shooting for quite a while, and I've already looked at that bow. I know it's a 29", 70-lb. model, and that's what I need." (I was holding my MQ-1, with three arrows which had been dipped, crested, and fletched with barred feathers -- not exactly what a "newbie" shoots.) I go ahead and let her measure me, and she proceeds to tell me I need a 27 and 1/2" draw length! [] I was ready to laugh, until I saw she was serious! OK, I'm 5' 11", 190 lbs, wear a size 44 suit, and have a 34-inch sleeve length.

I blew her off and proceeded to start shooting both bows, and later the shop's owner came in. He talked to the helper some, and then came over. His first comment was something like, "So you ended up going with the 29-inch draw, huh? It looks pretty long on you." OK, now I'm getting pissed. Funny when I was in a couple days ago, and was drawing the bow when it was just him and me, it seemed fine. I think he was trying to protect his workers' ego.

I came home and had my wife take a pic of me at full draw. This is with a very relaxed bow arm, not at all close to straight. I settle my knuckle into the bottom of my lower jaw as an anchor point, and usually touch my nose to the string as a second reference point. So what do you guys think?

Old 01-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Greg,
I'm confused? Is that the Outback in the picture or your MQ-1? If it's the Outback and you bought it.........dude take it back.[:-]
It's hard to tell everything from a close up picture like that, but your head position looks perfect, and if you said your shooting arm is in the proper position then that bow is at least a 1/2 too short. If you prefer a straighter bow arm then its probably shorter than that.
Did you let the guy talk you into that length? I know not funny bud but seriously, the guy couldn't see that you have ZERO reference points to anchor with?

P.S. Get that trigger more into the first knuckle.......the further out to the tip, the more likely you are to punch the trigger. Back tension baby , back tension![8D]
Old 01-20-2004, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks more like an inch too short to me
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I'd also say that in that pic you are about an inch short. What ever the draw length is there it is definetly too short.

I prefer to place the index finger nuckle directly inder the lobe of my ear. Right in that crease between the jaw bone and the skull.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Matt!

No, if you read my response on the Outback thread, I think the Outback is a nice bow, but it's not that much better than my MQ-1. Maybe not at all. Don't like the weight, nor the short valley. The bow I'm drawing here is my MQ.

No way I would let that guy talk me into that lenght -- I left his shop at around 1 p.m., drove on up to St. Louis (where I was headed in the first place), went to Bass Pro Shops and bought a new Bitzenburger fletching jig, and fumed about their comments all the way back home. The first thing I did when I got back was have my wife take that pic.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks a little short to me also, good news is if you can add what your missing your looking at some free speed!!

On my bow 1" was worth 9fps, nothing to write home about, but nothing to sneeze at either.

Glad to hear you still prefer your MQ1.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:40 AM

It's a little hard to tell for sure because it looks like the picture is at a slight angle. However, I'd say that MQ1 is just about perfect for you IF YOU PUT A STRING LOOP ON IT!
Old 01-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would agree with the others. It does look a bit short.

One question though, have you actually measured the draw length on your MQ1 and the Outback or are you just going by what is on the limb label?
Old 01-21-2004, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Looks to me like your draw length is okay, but the string angle seems to show you're shooting a bow that's too short for your draw length. I've been there, done that. Had to have a nose like a collie to hit the string and the peep six inches away from my eye.

And I agree with Matt about finger placement on the release trigger.

On the other hand, the angle of the photo IS odd. It even looks like you're looking OVER the peep instead of thru it.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:06 AM

It looks fine to me, maybe a tad short, but most people's draw length is WAY too long, but noone wants to admit they need a shorter drawlength. I shot 29 for years and finally I had pro convince me my draw was too long. I now shoot 28. Mine is set to where the string touches my nose when I lean forward to look through the peep and I can feel the very tip of my feathers on my lip.

BTW, I now shoot better than ever with no sting slap, even in heavy clothing, with the shorter draw.

Quick Reply: Updated w/ new pic: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.