Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Updated w/ new pic: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Old 01-21-2004, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Sounded as if you were wanting to see a wider-angle view, Frank, so I just took this one. Again, I'm having to scramble to beat the timer, but it's pretty accurate.

The only problem with what you suggested is I shoot a 1" overdraw (got a good deal on it when I bought the bow -- half price), and all my arrows are cut to just give me clearance over my launcher arms.

Once I get into a "shooting position", it seems to feel and look exactly as everyone above suggested it should.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good to me MQ1 I'd say you are right on. I'm basically the same size as you, and I shoot a 29" as well. I doubt seriously you are 27.5.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the last picture you posted it apears that you are "slightly long" on draw . In my oppinion that is better than being slightly short . It looks to me as though you might try a bow 1/2 inch shorter in draw and see how that does for you . Some pepole shoot better slightly longer or slightly shorter than what would be considered dead on for them .
Old 01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

So go buy a full length arrow!!

Seriously, your draw length does not look too bad. It is difficult to tell from just one angle. However, regarding your form....drop the shoulder a tad and don't lean into the string so much.........sorry could not resist.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:42 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2004, 03:32 PM

Sorry but it looks to long to me too...I wouldnt say your a 27 either...I am 5'11 190 and shot 29 draw for years..Finally went to a 28.5 and it made a world of difference..But you look laid out to much in the pic and your head looks like its back instead of up front where it needs to be..But not being there with you watching first hand its hard to say...
Old 01-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I looks pretty close to me, the only indication of the draw being too long is the draw elbow is a little low. Not close to 1 1/2" too long though.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Updated w/ new pic: Do YOU think my draw length is too long?

Looks like about a half an inch long.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:57 AM

I can't tell you if you're too long or too short, but you can figure it out for yourself. After you get your true draw length, try one that is 1/2" shorter. Never go by what's written on the bow. Always use an arrow to measure the actual draw length of the bow. Concentrate on how steady you are holding. When you have the correct draw length, you will be able to keep your pin centered more easily. Experiment will slightly different draw lengths until you get the one that holds best. Some guys can tell a substantial difference, with as little as 1/16" or 1/8" adjustment. Shorter draw length are generally easier to hold steady and they also help in avoiding hitting your arm with the string.

Once your draw length is perfect, if your anchor points are off, then you need to get a particular axel to axel length bow to have the string hit an exact anchor point (like the tip of your nose). From your physical description, I would guess the bow is too short (ata) to get the correct string angle without anchoring too far back.