Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Going to give Trophy Taker another try

Old 01-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Going to give Trophy Taker another try

Ok, I'll admit, I was a little harsh on the rest right after I purchased it. But since so many of you highly touted the rest and a former team Hoyt member at my shop said she highly recomended it, I'll give it another go.

One thing I can honestly say, its well built. The loosness was just that. Simply turned the screw a few times and its perfect. I did notice one thing. If you use a NAP arrow holder on the shelf and let the launcher hit that. Way QUIET!! I like that deal.

I shot it a few times last night at home in my garage and I am having a little trouble getting the launcher out of the way in time. I am shooting cock vane down and its hitting in the bottom of the V. I'm going to look at it tonight and see whats happening. I am pretty sure I am close as far as timing. Its coming up just as I am at full draw, about the last inch or two of draw.

Another thing I also noticed. The spring in the rest doesn't seem to be very stiff. I took it apart last night before mounting it and see that there in another hole in there to place the spring post in. Anyone try that? It does stiffen it up quite a bit. I left well enough alone as it seems plenty quick for me. Oh well, back to tinkering tonight!

If anyone has any tips, please let me in on them.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Going to give Trophy Taker another try

Muzz,

Shoot cock vane up. That should solve your problem. You may also want to time it so it drops a bit quicker, but I would try the cock vane up first. That is how it's designed to shoot.

Glad to see you giving it another go. I think you'll find that it's a very high quality design.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Which one are you referring to...the original or Shaky hunter?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

JeffB, I'll give er a try like that. I thought about that, but didn't get time to try. The thing I really notice about it is how compact it is compared to others. Also, its built like a tank like you said. I can say that the NAP QT's are the same quality IMO. I'll work and get the TT setup correctly. Then see what happens

Frank, its a Shakey Hunter model.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

I've been using a TT on my hunting bows this past year. I'm very impressed and will continue to use it next year. To me, it's still the best dropaway I've seen on the market.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just an update. I mounted the rest back up and spent three hours tonight trying to get rid of fletch contact on the arms. The rest was coming up at about the last 1 to 1 1/2 of draw, justl like suggested. It still hit. I moved my nock point up to about 3/16 and it still was making contact. I'm befuzzled. I really want to get this working. I'm shooting cock vane up.

FYI This is one a 2004 Hoyt Vipertec 65lbs 28 draw with a string loop. Beman ICS 400 @27" w/ 100gr

I tried my NAP again tonight as well. It shoots perfect holes in paper and no contact what so ever.

I think I'm taking it to the shop and have them put it on and see what they can do.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:58 PM

I put one on my then brand new '02 Patriot and I had trouble right away. I messed with it for quite a while trying different things and ended up dry firing the bow while watching the launcher come up and go down[X(] That's when I took it off and put on an old Bodoodle rest, tune it up and the bow shot very well!!!! I looked at the rest and like a light bulb going on,,, I thought, why do I think that the little return spring on the launcher arm can get the launcher arm out of the way before the fletching gets there??? I took it back and returned it a Cabelas ( good 'ole Cabelas) and have made my own rest since
Old 01-21-2004, 04:58 AM

I'm glad to hear your giving the trophy taker another try Chris. I shot mine some more last night at the Bowhunter's shop. Man do I love that rest. I haven't got to powder check it for fletching contact but the way it's shooting I don't think there is any. I had Tom help me set it up on sunday, he did say this was the first one he has set up but he had nothing but great things to say about it. I am shooting Cock feather up, I can't remember exactly but If you look at the paperwork sent with the rest or check on Trophy Takers website it tells you the best way to shoot the rest is cock feather up. Maybe you have the launcher up too long, mine is up for the last 1 1/2" to 2" of my draw as reccomended in the instructions, you may want to shorten the attachment cord to have the rest drop out of the way sooner, it might not take much adjustment to get it to do what you want.
Old 01-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey muzzy, I'm still here, and will buy the TT off you if you decide to scrap it.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Going to give Trophy Taker another try

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.