Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Someone talk me down...

Old 01-20-2004, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Someone talk me down...

I think I'm a freak. I shoot more consistently not matter the weapon of choice if there is some play in the trigger. Not slop, but smooth steady travel that results in a suprise release, similar to back tension.

For instance, when I was in basic training, the M-16s we were issued had this type of trigger. We were taught to Breath, Relax, Aim and slowly squeeze while concentrating on aiming, the slow squeeze resulted in the gun going off while you were concentrating on the target. Very easy to get comfortable with a shooting system like this for me, even though I'd been shooting guns since I was 10. Consequently, at qualifying time, I shot hawk eye, as good as you can get, with targets from 10-300 meters, open sights. Aim center mass, concentrate on aiming and slowly squeeze. Worked every time

Every release I'm aware of have adjustable trigger tension, from feather to heavy, but none allow pre-travel. A heavy trigger setting would allow one to slowly increase the squeezing tension, but it's just not the same.

I guess until someone takes this concept, applies it to archery and runs, I'm forced to make the heavy setting slow squeeze work. I plan to spend the next several weeks firing my release with my eyes closed off a stick and string I set up to simulate my DL in an effort to make the trigger motor automatic, so full conscious concentration can be focused on aiming.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2004, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Someone talk me down...

Well put, RB.

I, too, was taught to shoot a gun while slowly "squeezing one off" so the actual firing of the gun was a surprise. Makes sense to apply this to trigger-type releases as well.

I try this with my Scott Caliper and Tru Ball Tornado releases, but probably still punch the trigger just a touch because of the lack of what you mentioned in your post.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting observation. I did not think much of it but this is how the trigger is set up on my rifle as well...almost like a two stage pull. Maybe your comments will get someone to begin to develop one along those lines.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Which is why I shoot fingers... After trying releases, I finally decided if I wanted to squeeze a trigger I'd be shooting a gun instead of a bow.

What about using a Scott release and replacing the solid trigger with one of those coiled spring type doodads? It wouldn't be the same dual stage feel you're looking for, but seems like it would give a suprize release.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Frank, I sure hope so. Should be a relatively easy task to apply to existing designs. I guess I shoulda posted this a few months back and not so close to the show. Hope we don't have to wait until next year to see it happen

Art, I thought of that, even have a Scott mongoose as my back up release I could try it on, but I'd be afraid I'd like it and have to go back to the mongoose over the Gator Jaw dual caliper (above and below the nock) that I'm currently in love with.

I adjusted the trigger as firm as possible, seems to be better, time will tell, but I sure wish someone would build a release head like I described...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball, I have been using a release the works like this for about two years. Its a hunting style caliper made by Tru-ball Hunter Glove II. There is a small set screw that if you loosen it all the way out, you will get quite a bit of squeeze out of it before it goes off.

I shoot my bow much like a gun. Aim, and slowly squeeze the trigger till the shot surprises you. Of course after a while, you know when to expect it. I too found much more consistancy out of this config.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:58 PM

Maybe not the same but have you tried the opposite instead? I have a trufire x caliper and it has the option to release to fire. Comes in handy when I I start giving it the "tyson" and need to whip back into shape.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:54 AM

I too think the Tru-ball Tornado has a lot of trigger travel. I prefer handheld releases and right now my favorite is the Zenith -- I had one that had a practice cam in it for a long time and put the regular moon in it a few day ago and started shooting much better.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

MuzzyMan and Trueshot, are we talking trigger travel or a heavy trigger that doesn't move and allows more finger squeeze before going of?

I'm looking for smooth, steady trigger travel of up to 1/2" or so... I can set my triggers heavy to where I have to sqeeze more, but it isn't the same thing. With the build up, you anticipate the release, at least for me...
Old 01-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rangeball, I am referring to trigger travel with the release I mentioned. I never measured the actual travel or thought about it. What I can say is that it has quite a bit. I would make guess at what you stated, about 1/2 or even a little more is possible. I really like the release. Its a glove style with a rubber cylinder inside that goes across your palm. Makes for a nice, solid fit while drawing the bow. Also, the caliper head itself seems to be easy on serving and release rope.

Quick Reply: Someone talk me down...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.