Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

single pin or multiple for elk?

Old 01-20-2004, 09:31 AM

Default single pin or multiple for elk?

I put in for an elk tag this year and that has got me to thinking....(I know it's dangerous)

I have always used a single pin for whitetail hunting which was sighted in at about 26 yards which would put me in the kill zone from zero to 30 yards. This has worked great! My max range is 40 yards, and at that distance holding the pin on the spine put the arrow in the boiler room on my 3d deer. The single pin in a round sight ring focused my sight picture much better than multiple pins.

Since elk are a much larger animal, and the kill zone is larger, I am thinking that my maximum range might extend to 50 yards. Maybe a pin type sight would be better with this in mind. It would take me more practice time to get used to, but would it be worth the effort?

What do you think?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:36 AM

Default RE: single pin or multiple for elk?

I would suggest that you stay with what works and keep your single pin. If you hold on the spin of an elk at fifty you should be right in there, but elk are a lot tougher than whitetails and I would advise 40 max and 30 or closer as a lot better options for a good kill shot.

One shot one kill
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since you anticipate having the possibilitie of 50 yard shots, why not have a second pin set at that range? That way you're ready either way and will KNOW where to aim on the longer shots.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2004, 11:57 AM
CG

1 pin set at 30 yards for the last 5 years. I've killed 4 bulls in that time, so it must work. Farthest shot was 35 yards. I have shot my bow enough to know where to hold out to 50 yards.

One thing to consider, at 50 yards your arrow has lost a LOT of energy. Depending on your set-up you might not have sufficient energy to get through even a rib at the distance.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

You will be just fine. I have killed many elk and have yet to take one over 25 yards. Most of the time they are within 10 -15 yards. But get ready because when they decide to come in. They will come in fast. Make sure that the front leg is foward. These babies are tough and will send you on a goose chase with a marginal hit. Kinetic enegry should be considered here. My arrows are hitting with 75 ft. lbs and I also use a cut on inpact broadhead. Most of the shots have been pass throughs and usually I hear them go down within earshot. Enjoy your hunt. Nothing like hunting bulls in the rut.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:20 PM

The last seven bull elk I have killed have all been within 20yrds. Out of the seven bulls 3 I shot at about 10 yrds. and the closest was 5yrds. The elk in my opinion are a too magnificent animal to be shooting an arrow at over 30yards. Personally, I prefer just to keep it within 20yrds. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, this is mine. Good Hunting