Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

right and left helical

Old 01-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default right and left helical

I read about you guys talking about right and left hand helical fletching on
arrows, I know what helical is but does aright hand shooter want right hand
helical or vice versa? I guess I want to know what right and left hand helical
do.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:20 AM

Default RE: right and left helical

It doesn't matter what hand you are, you can use right or left helical. Science has proved this true. Some people prefer right helical because when your arrow hits the target your field points actually tighten as opposed to left helical which actually causes your points to loosen on impact, but when using left helical all I do is put some wax on the threads of my point and they stay very snug and there is no need to retighten them. Basically right helical spins the arrow clockwise and left helical spins the arrow counter-clockwise.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

Some people prefer right helical because when your arrow hits the target your field points actually tighten as opposed to left helical which actually causes your points to loosen on impact,

This gives me fits. All my arrows will be refletched to right by the end of Spring.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:49 AM

PMantle, instead of taking the time to refletch your arrows, Just apply some string wax to the threads of your points and they will stay snug. I have found this works wonders.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or clear nail polish...

You know you have some lying around...
Old 01-20-2004, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Rangeball

Or clear nail polish...

You know you have some lying around...

Yup. Believe it or not, I use it for redbugs. It's the only thing I have found that actually works on those little buggers.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't matter what hand you are, you can use right or left helical. Science has proved this true. Some people prefer right helical because when your arrow hits the target your field points actually tighten as opposed to left helical which actually causes your points to loosen on impact, but when using left helical all I do is put some wax on the threads of my point and they stay very snug and there is no need to retighten them. Basically right helical spins the arrow clockwise and left helical spins the arrow counter-clockwise.
Finally, we as a community are starting to debunk this myth with the proper answer. Thanks for saving me the typing!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Finally, we as a community are starting to debunk this myth with the proper answer.
Actually, it's NOT a myth. It is just as true today for a certain segment of the archery community as it ever was. Namely selfbow shooters who use their knuckle as an arrow rest. A right hand shooter should shoot left helical in order to keep the leading end of his hen feathers from raking across his knuckle and leaving feather cuts.

Other than that rarified group of true archery connoiseurs, it makes no nevermind which direction your arrows spin. Unless you take the coriolis effect into account.

You know, I've shot right helical and left helical and never saw any difference at all in my points coming loose. Gotta wax those threads to keep 'em from coming loose no matter which way the arrows are spinning. I think THAT right wing/tight points thing is the true myth.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:03 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Arthur, my arrows are all fletched left and my points loosen after almost every shot. I don't believe that the arrow spins fast enough to affect the tightness of the points.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

I agree with Arthur, my arrows are all fletched left and my points loosen after almost every shot. I don't believe that the arrow spins fast enough to affect the tightness of the points.

Well, left fletch is the spin that would loosen. Righty tighty, Lefty loosy.

Quick Reply: right and left helical

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.