Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Old 01-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Jeff,
I'm in no way disputing what your saying ,as a matter of fact I'm going to change the cables back on my bow as I wasn't having a fletch clearance problem anyway, but doesn't changing the slide essentially create the same problem as far as cable angle goes? or is it enough smaller of an angle change that it doesn't create the same added stress?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gary,

Oh no problem. Just trying to make sure folks get the message on how they are supposed to cross. wasn't implying anything

You answered yourself w/ the latter statement.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

That works for me, I really think I need to let my wife know about the inherent danger I may be in from putting that undo stress on the MM limbs and get a new bow,of course as Phil said the MM would probably be safe enough in an emergency so I better keep it.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 AM

I questioned the 'non-standard' crossing at the cable slide years ago and was given the answer that it increased speed. I did some tests and found that a possible .5 - 1 fps increase was possible. Once it was seen by other manufacturers, it seems that many of them jumped onto that bandwagon.

More recently I was told that it would change the distance that the cable slide would travel and could be used to enhance some drop-away rest requirements. Again, I found this to be true.

The problem I have found is that it is normally done when it should left to its 'natural' state. On some bow designs it will increase the wear factor of the string/cable(s) and will cause too much friction which will result in loss of speed.

Unless you find a very good or necessary reason to do it otherwise, I'd lay it out in the 'natural' position.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

On some bow designs it will increase the wear factor of the string/cable(s) and will cause too much friction which will result in loss of speed.

Unless you find a very good or necessary reason to do it otherwise, I'd lay it out in the 'natural' position.
Len,

So, in your experience, would the current Bowtech lineup fall into the category of having a "good and necessary reason"?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you alter whether the cables cross above or below the guard rod? Different slides?
Old 01-20-2004, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I've noticed nothing adverse about having them above on my Bowtech, I actually have less cable wear on the new cables since I change them to crossing above, however I did change my slide also so that may be what help the cable wear. If Bowtech says the should be crossed below the gaurd I'll probably change them back.

Range,
If you you take the slide off of the gaurd and the cables out of the slide the cables actually cross where they want to naturally. When you put it back together just put the slide back on with them crossing where they want to naturally.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

Solved my clearance problem today with an Alpine Archery cable slide. It's pure white teflon coated in rubber with a axle molded through it that holds two wheels for the cables. Seems smoother that the factory version. We'll see how it shoots soon.

Fritz
Old 01-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]