Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Old 01-18-2004, 08:12 PM

Default RE: UPDATE!!!! BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Len,

Like I mentioned above, the pics aren't really that great. I couldn't seem to get the angle right! Trying to hold a bow, while taking a picture (and my digital camera won't work on the close setting so I had to use the auto setting and lean back) isn't too easy. The pics kind of make the problem worse than it is. The arrow in the picture is also a brand new arrow that hasn't been shot.

Matt,

The bow hasn't had a gauge put on it. The rest is set fully out and can't go over any further..

***UPDATE*** I just decided to do what Matt said and raise the launcher on my TT and then check out the fletch contact. Guess what, when it is lifted up, there is about 3/16" of clearance with the cock vane down. That thought never even crossed my mind, but that is the reason that I was getting great flight and now fletch contact, but when I just looked at the arrow without the rest lifted, I saw what would have been contact. Tommorow afternoon I will take a few more pics to show that.

I guess that I thought I had a problem and I really didn't!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2004, 09:17 PM

Default RE: UPDATE!!!! BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

The wife's new Patriot VFT has plenty of clearance with her 4 inch vanes, cock vane down. My Plainsman drop away rest too is almost maxed out to reach good center shot tuning. The extreme sight window off set on the new risers would seem to me to provide ample cable rod clearance, I see no problems with ours anyway
Old 01-19-2004, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

So I'm shooting 5" shield cut feathers and have about 1/16" clipping the cable if I configure with cock feather down. I'm shooting an 04 Patriot single cam.

What in your opinions is the best teflon slide to get that little bit of extra clearance for my fletching?

Thanks,

Fritz
Old 01-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hate to be the bad guy but is this acceptable to engineer a new riser without taking into consideration that the vast majority of archers today are shooting cock feather down with a right offset or helical for the right handed shooter to keep their points tight.
I think, as some of the others have made mention to, that not everyone is experiencing this problem. That would lead me to one of two conclusions....either a) the cable guard rods on some of the production bows are not at the same angles as others or b) the actual problem lies with the individual setup on the bow and not the bow itself.

This is a tough one to call as it requires someone to actually physically have their hands on the bow to check it out further.

Just a thought, but when I set my MM up I took the slide of and the cables naturally crossed above the cable gaurd ,but when I got the bow they were set up crossing below it, I put a Bomar slide on it and put it on with the cables crossing above and haven't had any problems,
Gromage,

This could potentially put more stress on the cam. The reason I mention this is because I had actually been shooting my Pat SC in this fashion for some time and was experiencing some excessive wear on the cable. After some research I found that the cables are supposed to be crossing below the cable guard rod despite how they "sit at rest".
Old 01-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]

quote:

Just a thought, but when I set my MM up I took the slide of and the cables naturally crossed above the cable gaurd ,but when I got the bow they were set up crossing below it, I put a Bomar slide on it and put it on with the cables crossing above and haven't had any problems,

Gromage,

This could potentially put more stress on the cam. The reason I mention this is because I had actually been shooting my Pat SC in this fashion for some time and was experiencing some excessive wear on the cable. After some research I found that the cables are supposed to be crossing below the cable guard rod despite how they "sit at rest".

Thats the opposite of what I've been taught , let them cross where they want to . I have noticed that bowtech crosses them below regardless . When I shot a bowtech and had clearance problems with my MZE I called the factory and was told " It makes no diferance where they cross" , and crossed them above the slide and it cured my problems .
Old 01-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thats the opposite of what I've been taught , let them cross where they want to
Up until recently that is the way I came to understand it as well. Apparently that is not the case with Bowtech's bows. I received that info from the proverbial "horse's mouth" (sorry Jeff... ) but would love to hear a further discussion of the subject.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:15 PM

I guess next time i will wait for more facts before putting my two cents in.
bd
Old 01-19-2004, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

I think it was on here that there was a discussion going on when I first got my MM, I hadn't really noticed any fletch contact on my bow but it was close, someone replied and their reasoning sounded good when referring to where the cables naturally crossed so I gave it a try, it really seemed to give me more fletching clearance. Haven't noticed any unusual wear and the bows shooting great. If I remember correctly I called Bowtech before I did it and they said it didn't matter where they crossed. I wonder if it matter's whether the bow is a VFT or not , obviously my 02 MM is not. Jeez if I'm putting some kind of unknown stress on my bow I probably should get a new one. You think that rationale will fly with the wife?
Old 01-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

gromage1, absolutely. Tell her you could be injured, but you need to keep the 02 as a backup.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely should be crossed under.

The main reason is that crossing above on the shorter bows causes more angle of the string off the idler and angle from the cable off the track. Neither is good for wear or cam/limb lean (added stress).

Quick Reply: BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.