Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Old 01-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

BM,
Just a thought, but when I set my MM up I took the slide of and the cables naturally crossed above the cable gaurd ,but when I got the bow they were set up crossing below it, I put a Bomar slide on it and put it on with the cables crossing above and haven't had any problems, and what a diff. with cable wear w the bomar on it, I don't know if you will actually gain any room w the Liberty but it might be worth a look.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:04 PM

I hate to be the bad guy but is this acceptable to engineer a new riser without taking into consideration that the vast majority of archers today are shooting cock feather down with a right offset or helical for the right handed shooter to keep their points tight. And if a national survey was taken Im sure there are more people still using shoot thru rests than drop aways. It seems anything Bowtech does on this site is O.K. due to the bias of those here. I am not knocking the individuals as I think they are fine people always willing and ready to help others, But had the other company that starts with the letter M let something like this get past I am sure we would be hearing a different response. I dont think telling someone to replace their cable slide and switch to a drop away rest is acceptable when purchasing a top of the line bow. Where was this mentioned in the Liberty vs Diablo challenge.
BD
Old 01-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

BD,

All good points. However I'm not seeing these problem myself...haven't on my 2004's , 2003s or 2002s. I've also got RH fletched arrows that clear (3-49's) on all 4 BowTechs I have in my posession at the moment, and I've shot Right helical fletch up until this past fall when I grabbed a 100 pk of Left wing feathers on clearance. I'm unaware of where the problem lies without being able to handle these people's bows and set-ups , so I'm only able to go by pics posted here and offering suggestions.

If the clearance is a big concern for some I would urge those folks to contact their dealers, and/or contact BowTech proper to see what is the next course of action.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

That cable slide looks very similar to the ones that NAP supply withe their drop away rests. That thing sets out so far that it is almost impossible to get fletching clearance. Get a slide that places the cables closer to the rod.

I agree with Dually too. Why wouldn't a company as popular as bowtech that charges such a premium price for their bows not check and correct this problem before it is put into production. This could have been a simple fix before the bow went into production. One out of fifteen having clearance problems is one too many IMO. A $750 bow should not have any of these annoying little problems.

One bad taste in my mouth against bowtech.[X(]
Old 01-18-2004, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to mention that I've let "The powers that be" know about this issue (and thread in particular) and will be discussing it with Kevin & others at the ATA show.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:06 PM

I think the reason that this went through is that the problem is so incredibly small. Like I said, I have maybe 1/16" of touch with the cock vane down shooting my arrows. That is being a little over kill, it is just a tiny rub that I actually never noticed when checking for fletch contact while setting the bow up. We checked for cable, dropaway string, and rhe rest, but I wasn't seeing any, but, when I looked with the arrow on I noticed it.

I don't like having this "problem", but I am not going to get ticked off about it. I had problems with my Hoyts paint scheme, but I didn't hate Hoyt for that.

I still love this bow and it still shoots amazing. My goal wasn't to have people trash BowTech about it, it was to let our boys from BowTech know that there is a potential slight problem there!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

And there you have it!!
The first improvement for the 2005 models- more vane clearance provided by a different cable slide. or possible a cable rod that is angled a little further out than the current model.
Whew, now I can feel better about waiting for the 2005's j/k!
Old 01-18-2004, 04:57 PM

I still haven't seen a problem with the 2004 models and clearance, is it possible that this is a small problem being blown into a big one??
It appears that it isn't that hard to solve.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:16 PM

I have yet to see these problems either. I'm not saying that they don't exist, I just haven't noticed anything like this.

I would question the angle of the photo and subsequently the positioning of the center shot. If the centershot is too far in, you'll definitely see the fletching get closer to the cables. I also don't see any vane damage. This could, however, be a new arrow.

I'm not taking any position because I can't examine the set-up personally. I just wonder how anyone else can accept something that they can't measure or confirm.

It's the engineer in me!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jason,
Have you checked your center shot on a gauge? I can't find anywhere where you said yes or no.......my TT is set very far out to the left, in fact it might be aired out. Looks farther out than yours is?.
I haven't had a chance to get mine on a centershot gauge yet so mine was just eyeballed carefully and then tuned, but my string,launcher, and pins are in a direct line........paper is great and shooting very tight groups.

Also if you notice, the clearance at rest is better when you lift the arrow to the launch position by hand...When you just let the arrow hang on the shelf like you are in the pics, the vanes are pointing at a spot lower on the cable which is closer to the centerline of the string.
If I place my 4" feathers cock vane "in" I have some contact........any other orientation and there is no contact.
It's close no doubt about it, but I only have conflict in one arrow position, a position I don't see too many shooters using.

Quick Reply: BowTech Cable Clearance Problem..... PICS!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.