Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Mathews Outback

Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 AM

Default RE: Mathews Outback

LOL!! at some of you guys. How dare someone use the "M"-word here on BowtechBBS
Old 01-20-2004, 06:28 AM

We have had an outback at the shop for a little while now -- I have pictures but not with me now.

I was pretty excited about this bow. I was never a fan of the small bows until I got my hands on a Merlin Hunters Quest 31 with Whisper cams. I set it up and shot it for a while and it shot great. I set it up for my father as a gift for a hunting bow. It was the quietest bow I have ever heard (I did have all the silencing stuff on it though), but still, it was like a recurve in noise level. I am now thinking of maybe getting a small bow for hunting (I currently shoot a 37" A-A Diamond Widowmaker with carbon riser -- (super light for you mountian hunters)

I Liked the looks of the new Outback. I like the new Hardwoods HD camo and the riser looks nicer than previous Mathews risers -- looks a little more deep and open. I was hoping the grip would be a significant change, but other than the strip down the middle it is basically the same.

I set it up with a NAP QT1000 rest and string loop yesterday for a customer to shoot and I shot it as well. I was expecting a bit more from it -- it was not as quiet as I expected and there was a definite buzz that I felt in my hand and could be heard after the shot. I was expecting a soft thump (like the Legacy). Not sure why this one is different that the ones others here have shot. The string suppressors on the one we got are hitting the string too early IMO and the string can be seen to angle from the idler to the supressor and there is a lot of stress onm the supressor, it will cut quickly. I may have to twist up the rigging to try and correct this, but man, it is right out the box like this. Of, we had it backed off about 4 or 5 turns (so people don't dry-fire it so easily).

I think it is a nice hunting bow, but I now want to try some other offerings for comparison, like the Bowtech MM, the Hoyt small one, and the Merlin Max Xtreme.
Old 01-20-2004, 06:35 AM

The best out of the small bows is between the MM, and Outback, I have tried Merlin, so i cannot account for those, but the Vipertec, is not a good small bow!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

we had it backed off about 4 or 5 turns
Not to make excuses for Matt , this could account for the buzzing noise.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't rule out the Vipertec. It has a very smooth draw, low levels of noise and no recoil...though it was a bit lacking in the speed department.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:12 AM

I mean, we are talking about a completely insignificant difference in speed. This will mean nothing, at no time, anywhere!
Your right but your wrong !!

Your right in that it is insignificant !!
Your wrong , in that, it means nothing anytime !

A lot of these kind of debates are about bragging rights and 1 fps on a chrono is all you need to win !! Mine is faster than blah,blah,blah.......!!!

That is why I was trying to explain how easily you can manipulate the results .....too early this morning !!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM
CG

Outback=4.3 lbs.
MMVFT=3.5 lbs.

AND THE WINNER IS...........
Old 01-20-2004, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

you gotta go with something more sustantial then that, like the camo pattern or the look of their logo.
LOL!!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 AM

I just went and shot one at lunch..........it's definately sweet !! The new camo finish is awesome........best I've seen yet !!!

I will wait to see what the Classic is all about !! If it's not what I want........then I'll probably be tradin' in the LX for an Outback for sure !! If it' ll fit my SKB single bow case !!
Old 01-20-2004, 07:30 PM
BB9

Interesting feedback on the Outback. The only real issue that seems people are hanging their hats on as to why they don't like the outback or that another bow is better is weight. If this is all you guys can come up with then I know I've made the right choice.

Quick Reply: Mathews Outback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.