Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

60# or 70#

Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default 60# or 70#

Now that I have this situation resolved {cross my fingers} I draw my Golden Eagle at max 62# with no problem but I have been considering going to 70# espeacially for moose With the new BT dually do you think I should go for it
I draw my friend's 70# Mathew's Legacy o.k. but I definetly notice the difference but I'm sure I could get used to it . Any suggestion's
I could back it off or use my Splitfire in the cold need be but I'm not sure I'll be able to put the BT down.

nubo
Old 01-16-2004, 09:52 PM

Default RE: 60# or 70#

nubo,

I would go with a 60#. The draw on the Pat DC's is a little rough, which is why the thing IBO's at 334 f.p.s. I have drew the Pat DC back at 70# and there is no way that I would be able to do it when I am sitting out in the cold temps!

The Pat DC with 60# limbs maxed out will be more efficent than the 70# backed down! Also, if you shoot a pretty heavy arrow with a good fixed blade broadhead, the 60# should be good enough for moose as long as you have a longer draw length!
Old 01-16-2004, 10:22 PM

If you can draw a 70# Legacy "OK" then I would say go with the 60# Pat Dually.
Old 01-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nudo.

The power the Patriot Dually puts out @60# will be enough.

I blasted through the gristle plate and both shoulder bones of a boar at 32 yards with mine.

These things hit like a Mack truck.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone here is giving good advise. If you're used to shooting 62#, I'd opt for the 60# Dually. Especially in cold weather, with heavy clothes on. This may give you an idea of how hard the Pat Duallys hit. I shot mine for 3D at the end of last summer (getting ready for fall). You never heard so much complaining about pulling arrows, and I have mine set at 57#. These things hit like a truck. IMO, 70# would be overkill, and not necessary.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:03 AM
BTM
Fork Horn

You didn't mention your draw length, which of course affects K.E. That being said, the others' comments are right on: Being able to draw smoothly from a hunting position is the most important thing.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would go with a 60#. The draw on the Pat DC's is a little rough, which is why the thing IBO's at 334 f.p.s. I have drew the Pat DC back at 70# and there is no way that I would be able to do it when I am sitting out in the cold temps!

Same here and I am a bit larger in size than BM... A 60 lb Pat DC should be putting out plenty of KE with most setups. Now, if you were talking about a Freedom Cam Bowtech then I would probably recommend the heavier weight since the draw cycle overall is much smoother.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto. 60 pound dual cam from BowTech is plenty. My 60 pound 2002 BKII option two put out as much or more energy than the majority of my other 70 pound hard cam bows at the time.