Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why not more custom grips in use?

Old 01-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why not more custom grips in use?

Does anybody have any pics of the custom grips they use--would love to see some of the grips available that people actually have tried and chose over other grips.RACK,how 'bout it?
Old 01-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm..I'm a stickler for grips, but the only ones I find I cannot get used to these days are stuff from the smaller manufacturers...stuff like Champions grip, Pearsons grip, and a few others..big solid once piece grips.

I didn't like the grip on my Cougar III either...even without the BF goodrich all terrain they epoxy onto it . The height is good, but it was too deep like the Hoyt MagnaTec grip.

I can deal w/ the Mathews comp grip..but it's one of those grips that takes me some time to get used to. Most guys who come into the shop have a real problem with torquing them..they require a bit of experimentation to get right.

My personal pet peeve is that most grips these day are too low wrist for me. I prefer some heel height (but not width). My fave grip ever was the 1999-2000 Hoyt grip on models like the Striker II, Defiant XT, Havoc, etc. Had good height, not too deep, not too wide-not too thin (with the side plates off).

But grips are one of these things where you'll never please everyone.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeez, I shelled out $110 for my custom grip, but I ain't complaining at all. It was worth it.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone have pics of their custom grips?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:45 AM

I have had my bow for 5 or 6 years(Ultr-Max), and I cannot ever remember thinking there was a problem with the grip. If I do end up buying a new bow, and am force to go with one with a brace close to 8", I will use the Mathews grip as a form for a new grip to increase stroke.