Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New Carbons, which ones?

Old 01-18-2004, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New Carbons, which ones?

I shoot the Beman ICSCH, and have yet to have problems with them other than the exterior wrap wearing should I shoot them for 3D's. Many of our customers have great luck with the ICS hunters (black) and both Goldtips and Carbon Tech shafts also when it comes to pure carbon. I learned not to shoot my hunting arrows much for say 3D or into "rough" practice targets, so my hunting arrows look great-- I'll have this new dozen hunting shafts I figure until I take at least 12 animals.

ACC's are excellent as well, some of the finest shafts on the market for all applications, they get a big thumbs up from me.

The new Axis shafts I'm going to play with, but I always make sure all new products are " well worthy" before I head out into the field with them for a "real" hunt. This usually takes a few months, so it will be fun to be able to give them a full boat rundown later on towards spring when I can get outside in a bit more than 0 degree temps! JMHO, Pinwheel 12
Old 01-18-2004, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzyman88

Buck Magnet, I have considered the 3D pro's. My only concern there is weight. I like a little heavier shaft. But I'll still keep them in my mind.

Does anyone have any experience with the Blackhawk shafts?

JeffB, what is your final thoughts on the Axis shafts? I will pay a little extra if they are really that good.

The 3D pro's are not exactly super light, but not terribly heavy either. Using 75/95s (340 deflection), vanes, arrows in the 28" plus length will be right around 400 grains w/ a 100 grain tip.

The Blackhawk carbons in my experience are horrid. There's a reason they are only about 30 bucks a dozen fletched (dealer cost). Their A/C/C knockoff (CAA's) are not too bad. Out of the 2 dozen I bought last year, most spin pretty straight (not all though), and weights are decent. Have not spine tested any recent models. The stock nocks are crap IMO. You will need to use a uni-bushing to keep the fibers from lifting up on the nock end. They also have a very noisy finish but if you are using fleece or teflon on your launchers they are fine. They also need to be cut slowly and carefully or the carbon will lift up. They do shoot well if those precautions are taken, and one can cut off the few that have straightness runout.

I have not used the ST AXIS on game, but I've been pounding the hell out of 6 of them now for about a month. So far I'm very impressed. More impressed with them than any other all carbon I've tried in recent years. Like the Blackhawk CAA's a few had some straightness runout, but they are not nearly as bad as the last couple dozen Beman ICSH and Goldtip XT's I've had. I've been able to cut off the bad parts and get some very straight arrows. Even without bushings they have been taking nock end hits with no problems so far (I've busted a handful of nocks and had to refletch 3 or 4 of them). I've left them out in this horrid cold we've had for days, pulled them out of the frozen targets w/ no insert problems, and they shoot fine. I'm not going to say they are the equal of an A/C/C for specs and accuracy, but so far they are pretty damn good.

I'll be trying some of the new Goldtip shafts too this year as well. Hopefully what I've been hearing under the radar about their improvements will prove true. But right now, IME the ST AXIS are hard to beat for an all-carbon.
Old 01-18-2004, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

How do the Beman Carbon Matrix stack up? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the A/C/C's.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gromage1

How do the Beman Carbon Matrix stack up? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the A/C/C's.
Gary,

They are cheaper because they don't use the same construction methods (only 2 wraps of carbon, thicker aluminum tube) and are not held to the same tolerances for straightness, weight or spine match.

I know a few guys who like them, but I've been a little dissapointed in the ones I've seen (as well as the A/C Kinetics which are the same shaft w/ camo). I don't feel they are any better than the BlackHawk CAA's really.[:'(]
Old 01-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Jeff,
I figured it was something like that, I haven't decided whether or not to grab some A/C/C's or maybe try some Easton Selects, I really have a bad taste for the Blackhawks, the dozen Vapors I bought when I first bought my bow didn't hold up at all. Then again the ST's look interesting with the exception of the nocks.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gromage1

Thanks Jeff,
I figured it was something like that, I haven't decided whether or not to grab some A/C/C's or maybe try some Easton Selects, I really have a bad taste for the Blackhawks, the dozen Vapors I bought when I first bought my bow didn't hold up at all. Then again the ST's look interesting with the exception of the nocks.
Gary,

I can understand the bad taste after shooting Blackhawk's all-carbons. Mine hardly lasted one shooting session. But the CAA is a decent shaft. Not the best, but I've seen far worse for the same $. I've seen some very good prices online for them.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:46 AM

GOLDTIP XT'S I THINK ARE THE BEST QUALITY CARBON ARROW FOR THE PRICE APPROX $ 65-70 A DOZEN. I SHOOT THE 5575'S AND WILL NEVER SHOOT ANYTHING ELSE, I HAVE TRIED LOTS OF DIFFERENT BRANDS TOO.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:10 AM

I really don't care what brand name is on them. I just want them straight from the start and to maintain their straightness. Hard quality to find in most all carbon arrows.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

when I put them in my quiver they almost fell out as it wouldn't retain the small diameter shaft. My quiver is a hoyt quiver. I don't know if there is a special way to carry these small beasts???
Arkansas, you need to get a new gripper. I had a similar problem when switching from bigger diameter Gold Tips to ACCs (best move I've made in archery to date). A new rubber gripper will hold the smaller diameter shafts, but one that has been used to thicker shafts won't normally.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Len,
Couldn't agree more, I want something with consistancy, don't really if care if it's carbon or not , what's your thoughts on the Easton selects I've read good things about them? The A/C/C's obviously have a heck of a following but $$$$. Not that I have aproblem spending the money ,and like you I don't cares who's names on them just give me something that's consistant. I'm primarily a hunter so I like a little bit more weight than some folks.

Quick Reply: New Carbons, which ones?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.